Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about tax on rental property when living abroad

• 04-04-2023 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice. I will be moving abroad and renting my property out. I will be a "non-resident landlord" and understand I must appoint an agent to manage the tax side of things (20% of rental income).

One question, if this is my only income and I won't be domiciled in Ireland, do I still have to pay USC/PRSI on the rental income?

Thanks!

Comments

No PRSI if non resident. USC will be due if taxable income is greater than €13k.

Your tenant can pay the 20% withholding tax to Revenue, or you can appoint a collection agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dg92

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I can appoint a collecting agent for tax collection. Can this be my mother ?

and if so what has she got to do? She already gets the full rent into her bank account anyways and keeps it after tax . Does she need a PPS number ?

Is it ok if she is retired ?

Does she have to pay the tax every month ?

The Collection Agent may be any resident person. Examples include:

A friend or family member: Being a Collection Agent is a significant responsibility. If you choose a friend or family member for this role, they should get independent professional advice on their responsibilities attached to this role.

A Letting Agent, a Tax Agent, or other professional person: Some Letting agents are offering their services as your Irish Collection Agents, but many more are not as it requires an understanding of the Revenue obligations.

Is this your rental income by the way? Be careful with your mother collecting and keeping everything after tax as that would be deemed to be a gift from you to her and therefore subject to Capital Acquisitions Tax for her (at 33% after the annual Small Gift Exemption of €3,000)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

My mother is an old age pensioner of 80

She only has her old age pension so can get money up to 18,000 euros tax free. The thing is the house income supplements hers but I have to do all the work !!!

Can the collection agent pay the tax once a year ?

if so can it be at the end of the year or in the following year as my tax return is now

These answers will have a bearing on who I get to be the collection agent

thank you for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭Tow

The rules are changing in July, no one appears to be too sure the exact details. But it appears the rent has to be recorded on ROS/myAccount each month.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/rental-income/non-resident-landlords/changes-from-1-July-2023.aspx

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Advertisement