Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What plant is this?

Options
  • 04-04-2023 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi all, can the good people of boards help me identify what plant this might be or weed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭lucalux

Sycamore seedlings, (acer pseudoplatanus) popping up like a plague the past week or two, not great if you don't want them coming up where you find them

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Thanks for confirming

Yes plenty of them around and was wondering what they could possibly be.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have thousands of them just downwind of a big sycamore, growing in the grass. Fortunately they will be gone when big enough for the mower to catch them. They are one of the seedlings you can identify from the seed leaves, mainly because there is always so many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

I have some fabric with chipping stones on top(no gravel) and they still seem to be sprouting in the stone. They don’t need much encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

They'll grow anywhere, I feel. I've been picking up 100s from a mature one my neighbour has. I have a feeling as the ash trees die in hedgerows, sycamore will easily replace them. I have a hedgerow at the back of my garden that was primarily ash which died, and if I wasn't clearing the seedlings to allow oak I planted to grow, they would replace the ash in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Every plant pot, gap between pavings, flower bed and averaging at least one per square foot of lawn.

Advertisement