Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a fair price for a new fence/replacement?

Options
  • 04-04-2023 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on the price of a fence replacement. I have a 96ft long fence that needs to be replaced, and I have been quoted €5850 for the following:

• 10: 6ft x 6ft panels
    • 6: 6ft x 3ft panels
    • Gravel boards
    • Concrete H-posts to replace the old wooden ones
    • Labour, etc

Is this a reasonable price, or am I being ripped off? I live in a small town in North Leinster, if that makes any difference. I don't have any experience with fencing, so I would appreciate any input from people who do. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That kind of job can be expensive, but it seems a bit high to me. Haven't had any fencing done in a good while so I could be wrong.

The materials (panels, H posts, gravel boards) seem to come in around 1500, so its a good bit for labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Every job is different but a max of 4k sounds reasonable here, offer them that or get another quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭portach king

Thanks for the feedback so far folks. Good to know what I should be expecting to pay for this. I'll make some phone calls and gather some quotes tomorrow.

I meant to add that these are Hit and Miss type panels that are the same on both sides. Myself and our kind neighbours have agreed to share the cost

They could be more expensive, depending on what it used you could be looking at 2k at least.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think it's closer to 2,500 in materials.

My back of the envelope maths works out at around €2,370.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

That fencing does make it more reasonable to be fair, but no harm in making them an offer of what you think you'd be happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Is there much prep work??

Removing old fence or hedge, access is ok??

These will add a bit on .

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Iguarantee

I had my fencing replaced in mid-2021

We have 16 single-sided panels in total, all panels are the standard width (1800mm?) except one panel which is smaller. Concrete posts throughout and one brick effect gravel board per panel. I also got a 6ft wooden garden gate + lockable bolt.

Hit and miss panels were ~€15 more per panel.

All posts and gravel boards are 40N concrete which is a higher rating than is required really.

Materials and install was ~€3,000. Install of the fencing looked great but subsequently ended up being good on one side of my garden and crap on the other. The fence was shaking a lot in the wind and when pushed by hand it deflected by inches rather than the mm I’d expected. I lifted out 5 panels on the same side and inspected the install and there was probably <30% of a standard bag of postmix used on any of the 8ft posts. I ended up digging out around those posts and adding my own postmix and they’re rock solid since. Postmix is so cheap, no idea why they seemingly skimped.

The price you’ve been quoted seems high (seems!). I had mine installed in the middle of COVID and I’d expected prices to be high, perhaps your quote is very fair?

The install is the most important bit. I’d expected my install to be good because I’d had a recommendation from a friend who’s really picky. In hindsight, the lads that did mine were in a rush (not on my account!) and clearly didn’t give a toss what the end result was like; they’d quoted for a scope of work which ended up being reduced so I asked them to install some border kerbing so that the price would stay the same and I’d get some extra work done, needless to say the kerbing was a disaster, it looks like a hookers teeth.

If you know anyone that used the crowd that quoted you then ask them about it. Alternatively ask them could they point you toward a previous install or two so you can see the end result.

Old fence needs removing. It's rotting in several spots.

The old h-posts are set in concrete which will probably need replacing.

Access is not a problem.

• Advertisement

You are paying for probably machinery to remove the old posts and clear the area, disposal of old fence (always more than you expect) and labour to do it, adds a good bit onto the price. Your quote is looking more reasonable by the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Kincora2017

Price might be on the high side for what you’re getting. Those concrete posts are pretty unsightly (in my opinion). Have a look at the Durapost system - roughly the same as what you’re proposing but posts are metal, meaning they’re much lighter so easier for everyone. Don’t know if it’ll work out any cheaper but will look better.

Advertisement