Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shooting sticks/tripod

Options
  • 04-04-2023 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

can anyone recommend a set of sticks/or tripod,that i can use standing and sitting?looking for something to be steady for shooting out to 150 +yrds wanting to shoot bunny's with 223 using 55 grain hp,v max a bit over kill as i want the meat,head shots ill be going for,i have a bushnell banner 6-18 x50,seems good enough on full mag,just need to get steady,i know practice is key,but want to start off right,budget wise id maybe go 150,or bit more,thanks...ps i have a 9-13 bipod,but dont want to have to lie down all the time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I would recommend a good set of quad sticks. I have the viperflex ones and I also bought the 5th leg which makes them very steady

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I would recommend the primos tripod - it can be used sitting or standing - attach an old rifle sling and it is very easy to carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I have 2 sets of sticks - one is a homemade job from "garden poles", very simple and inexpensive. Also extremely steady and accurate out to 200-250 metres. Only downside is that they are non adjustable and a bit tricky if the fox or rabbits moves off to one side.

I also have Primos 2 trigger sticks with a cradle and I use them most of the time. As Chiparus says they are very adaptable with full swivel head and will self adjust for uneven ground, and are very easy to carry. They are a little less stable, but with practice you will "body shot" a fox at 250+ all day long.

You are in Nenagh ?

I am going up there tomorrow and I can give you a look at both sets if you wish. PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

thanks vizzy for the offer,but im heading off to wexford later to do a live in paint job for about 10 days.will have a look at the primos,see what there like......ps i also made those diy sticks for those green garden poles,but find them a bit shaky,or maybe its me,was looking a a thing called a bog death grip tropod,seems the job,but expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭keith s

Be good if someone made a primos style double leg adjustable sticks, with two more coming back up for a back rest. A quad/trigger hybrid! I was thinking of trying to make something out for the trigger stick and quads I have, but the problem is that the outside leg on the primos are the ones that move, so attaching the two back legs wouldn't work.

The qaad sticks are great for flat or even slightly uneven ground, but in heavy, tight forest or bad ground the primos are easier to deploy.

The bogpod is proper steady, but not something you'd want if you're going to be moving a lot.

• Advertisement

Something like this would be good I think, but the outter legs need to remain in place so the back legs are permanent lenght.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭TheEngineer1

If you go with the primos, look at the "2 point gun rest" aftermarket attachment for it. Makes standing shots too easy.

I have one of them 2 point gun rests, it's now in the box of gear I don't use.

1- It made it awkard to carry the sticks.

2- It was a bit flimsy.

3- It looked to put pressure on the base of where they sat, to the point it looked like the was going to break/snap.

Again, it depends on the you and your application, but for stalking or any kind of walking, I just didn't get on with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Got him!

I use Viperfex Quad Sticks and cannot fault them. Rock steady and easily deployed. They close up together nicely and are easy to carry. Like the old add for Pete's Peanuts said ' don't never go nowhere without them'!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Blaser

• Advertisement
Advertisement