Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Opinions - Svartpilen/Leoncino

Options
  • 04-04-2023 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm a beginner and (following on from previous thread) looking for a cheap entry point to test the water of motorbiking, budget of 4500-5k.

I like both the Svartpilen 401 and Benelli Leoncino.

I'm fully aware neither bikes are going to set this forum alight but wondering if anyone has any opinions on either. I know the Benelli is essentially a chinese bike but it seems to get good reviews too. TIA.

(I did IBT Cat A but I think I'd like to learn on something fairly small.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

How big are you? I really like the Husky, but it does look particularly tiny under some riders...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭cmyk

That was/is a bit of an issue for me too. I'm 6ft. I've sat on one though and it doesn't feel small.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I personally don't like hte look of the Svartpilen. The Leoncino looks better. Being Chinese just makes it likea KTM/BMW etc where so many are made now. Quality of finish maybe, so if it's going to be left outside that might colour your judgement.

But, at with that kind of budget I'd be looking at a VStrom 650 or SV650, or Fazer, or CB/X500 etc. All bulletproof.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Banzai600

some of the chinese bikes are gaining ground, as the engines are improving, quality has improved immensely . And the likes of BMW make bike engines in china too, and others. the real issue will be resale, as the brands are an unknown - but that doesnt make them bad either. moto morini have been very succesful so far with their X Cape, lot of bike for the money when you compare what its up against.

why not cut your teeth for a year on a cheap cb125 or similar, as you may not want a naked bike , likes of the cb500x above is a good choice for a bit of weather protection and a great little twin engine, and you should be able to sell handy.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 661 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

I own a Svartpilen and I love it, no issues with it after a years driving. Find it a much better bike (for what I need) compared to my old CB500x. I am 5"10 and I have no issues with comfort on it either. In fact I find it more comfy that the CB500x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭cmyk

Thanks guys, I've seen the recommendations for sv650 and fazer a few times. I'm sure it's for good reason but I they aren't that much cheaper considering the age difference and I find them a horrible looking bike which I realise should be quite far down the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Looks are a thing though. Maybe down the list but for most of us a bike is a luxury, it is not daft to want to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,053 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The reason SV650s and Fazers hold their value so well is because they're very popular, rock-solid reliable and great all-rounders. Sure that'll cost you when it comes to buy but you'll benefit when it's time to sell. With bikes age is pretty much immaterial, it's all about condition.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement