Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CD Vehicle Registration Plates

• 04-04-2023 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Is driving a vehicle with CD plates an offence if the registered owner and/or driver are not a diplomat or connected to an embassy in any way?

If so, what is the specified offence for the same?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,716 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Assuming the plate is properly issued to the vehicle (i.e. you haven't just added "CD" to your own, normal plate) and assuming the person driving the car is legally allowed to do so (i.e. has the owner's permission, has insurance cover, etc) I don't think there is an offence.

Diplomatic immunities attach to the diplomat, not to the vehicle, so a non-diplomat (or family member) driving a CD-plated vehicle doesn't enjoy any immunities. As a practical matter, they might not get parking tickets vey often but, if they do, the fact that the vehicle had a CD plate will be no help to them. And if they are involved in an accident or a motoring offence, there's no practical advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Stillinthedark

I was under the impression from what I’ve read elsewhere that CD number plates should be removed and non-CD plates affixed to a vehicle before it is sold on to the public?

However, I purchased a car and it still has the CD plates on it. I’ve ordered new plates but until I have them and can fit them I am concerned about what (if any) offence I could be unwittingly committing and thus potentially charged with?

While I would hope if I was stopped they’d understand, I still wanted to be sure as the defence that I’ve just purchased the car with those number plates already on it is not much of a defence as it would be my responsibility to have changed the plates before driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Advertisement