Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

didnt get full 500 rent tax credit

• 04-04-2023 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

Even tho when completing the income Tax Return, I put I paid 2500 in rent, which at 20% will be 500. I only got 186 in credit in my P21. Therefore only gonna get a refund for that same amount. am I missing something??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Did you pay enough income tax to use up the whole 500 tax credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Armand792

You are right. I only started working in July, and my Gross Tax Payable was 3,586.41 from which they deducted 186.37. So that is what I am getting back, right? Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Gross tax payable = 3586.41

less the usual tax credits 1700 + 1700 = 3400

Tax due = 186.41

Your 500 rent tax credit reduces this to zero.

As you have not paid enough tax, you don't get the full benefit of the 500 euro rent tax credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread. Can I ask how do I go about applying for a rent tax credit in the first place?

My landlord recently registered with the RTB. Do I need to get a number off him?

Edit: Found this so it's probably where i start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Complete your 2022 income tax return. In section 4, tax credits and reliefs, there is a section to complete to claim the rent tax credit. You'll need to provide the RTB registration number, gross rent paid in 2022, details of the property and landlord.

• Advertisement

I made a claim yesterday on revenue.ie for tax credits, entered RTB registered number, LPT property ID, etc.

It asked me to enter rent paid so far this year. Tax credits now increased by €750.

Question 1 - Will I need to apply again later in year to get the other €250 tax credit increase?

Question 2 - How do I claim for 2022?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭relax carry on

1: yes or you could wait until the 2023 tax year is over and file a tax return to claim the remainder.

2: You file a tax return like normal and add the rent tax credit like any other additional credit or relief.

@relax carry on which one of the 8 options below would "filing a tax return like normal" fall under do you know? 2 I suppose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Option 2.

Since apparently you've not done it before; take 10 minutes to read the details in the below link and watch the video that shows you want to do.

Thanks very much for the link with video. Really appreciate that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement