Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience of Butternut Box dog food?

Options
  • 05-04-2023 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Have a two year old Shih Tzu who may have developed a food allergy. Getting occasional bouts of diarrhoea.

Her current diet is Acana small breed kibble and diced home cooked turkey breast. She used to get treats etc. but is strictly on this diet alone now.

Was recommended the Butternut Box online order food as an alternative- anyone any experience? I know it’s a bit pricey but if it does the trick happy to pay.

vet has suggested hypoallergenic Royal Canin only but trying to use that as a last resort as she’s a fussy eater and doesn’t like the Royal Canin kibble.

Any advice appreciated - thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I would recommend it. My dog is a fussy eater and loves it. She gets mainly home cooked human food (chicken and mince) but I get Butternut as a back up and for variety. It is pricey but I think it is worth it. It is proper food, you can identify the ingredients and it smells delicious. Most kibble is made from grain and bits of animal not suitable for human consumption. There is no way I would give my dog such highly processed low quality food whereas I am often tempted to taste Butternut myself as it smells so nice. I just heat it in the microwave.

The service is really easy to use, I’ve been getting it for about a year now and have never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

Is heating food for your dog in the microwave a good idea? Strange one for me.

She prefers it warm. It’s very cold when it comes out of the fridge. Never crossed my mind that there was anything odd about heating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

I always serve at room temperature. It's just something I've never thought about. But I am pondering it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Royal Canin is much lower quality than Acana.

Shih Tzus prone to Collitus, so maybe a vet check might help.

I stooped feeding mine Acana because it’s been taken over by Mars.

Consider Canagan, Seven, or Phoenix Bark.

Post edited by anewme on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Barkin Bistro do a few cooked options and you get a discount if you do subscribe and save so you could compare prices with Butternut. If you look around you’ll find coupons for it - I got it on 75% off - I think on a YouTube review? The dogs loved it but it was so expensive at the time compared to raw I stayed with raw. I think if I was going to switch to cooked I’d get a balanced recipe and make it up myself.

Yes, more sensible and better value to make a batch up yourself and freeze. Then you can be absolutely certain of what they are getting.

Before dogs became Big Business, that's how they were fed and they were hale and hearty. For some reason, people have managed to be convinced that highly processed food of dubious quality is better for them. They are almost scared to give them good food. I love to see a dog really enjoy their food.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 zyraaisha

Our 6 month old fussy eater is thriving on butternut box. He licks the bowl clean after mealtimes. If you get a referral code, you can get 75% off your first box and it'll be good enough for two weeks. It does get a bit expensive without the discount though.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Terrier2023

my mum just started it how much is it after the discount period?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

mines working out at 150 a month by my calculation's, im just on my discount week as well, ive gone from it taking half an hour of bribing my snr to eat her huts to about 3 minutes of hoovering the butternut box.

Edit: if you go onto the website you can see the up coming orders, so first one is discounted, my second one seems to be as well, they my third order is full price at €75 for two weeks.

Post edited by dashoonage on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Terrier2023

Yes thanks for the info its very good food, smells scrumptious, in fact my mother made this type of food for her dogs herself, but shes 80 and is fed up cutting up the veg so she is delighted with this route. Its good enough to eat yourself !

I wish there was a way of returning the wool packing. It seems like an awful waste to throw it out. I did put it in my dog’s bed last Winter to keep her warm but I have far too much of the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

does anyone have a discount code for 75%?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

Dm'ed

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

If anyone else would like the code, please feel free to dm me

Advertisement