Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next EV after Leaf 30kw

• 05-04-2023 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi All, hoping for some guidance here from people who may have gone through this choice already.

We have had a 30kw Leaf for the last 5 years or so. It's been a great car for us, lovely to drive, great for transporting things etc. With the strong price for second had cars currently as well as the fact that we are looking for something with a longer range I was thinking that it could be a good time to look at other options but there are so many now compared with when we got the Leaf!

I'm currently looking at ordering a Model Y (have yet to test drive it) but have also seen the Skoda Enyaq and the MG4 as possible alternatives (I know there is a very big price range here). What are people's thoughts on the choices available? I would stick with a Leaf but feel that charging, BMS etc. is at the end of it's lifecycle for the generation currently being sold. I'm looking for a minimum 50kw battery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Snopake

I’d struggle to justify anything over 50k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

How long could you wait for delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Well if you ok with a potential delivery roller coaster experience Tesla is probably you best bet depending on if you need a lot of space I'd go with a M3.

But saying that there new players getting into the market who'll be price competitive and good spec BYD for example.

I saw a good few MG4's over in the UK a bit underwhelming to be honest also their kinda ID3 in size.

I drive an ioniq 5 love it, lower spec will compete with Tesla price wise but obviously less tech etc. But would think delivery would be next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

How about a Renault Megane E-Tech?

They come with a 60kw battery.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I'm a Leaf man. Have a 24 Tekna coming on 6 years. Our second car was another 24 Acenta. Sold that one last year as I needed range for a longer commute. I went with the Model 3 and love it. If you need more space, a Model Y for sure, but if a saloon is big enough....the Model 3 is a great car. I test drove a few others an they just don't compare. The closest was the i4, but I prefer the uncluttered Tesla design which has more tech and is now almost half the price of the i4.

Stay Free

No immediate need for it but I would like to try and qualify for the full grant if possible. Ideally this year

No immediate need for it but I would like to try and qualify for the full grant if possible. Ideally this year

Yeah, I’m no t sure if I’d be happy with the mg4, I know it’s a lower price range car but I would be nervous that that would be obvious in the finish and quality. I may test drive one though to see.

Is the delivery time frame for the ioniq5 really into next year?

I hadn’t really looked into these. I think I have something against a Renault, for no good reason probably

• Advertisement

What I’m struggling with is finding a car that is in the same price range as what the Leaf would have been when I originally bought it. I know that battery sizes are much bigger now but you would think that with advances in technology that this wouldn’t have translated so directly into price increases.

I might look into the M3 also, online reviews had pushed me towards the Y but the M3 could be big enough, it definitely has a nicer look to me than the Y

Demand is high. Inflation is high. Waiting lists are long and so the prices of all cars are higher. Tesla dropping prices by thousands recently was a big deal.

The 3 also has more range than the Y.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You should at least look at one and drive it. Renault and Nissan have been working together in a partnership for the last 20 odd years.

The Peugeot 308 is due out in electric form too soon and there is always the Citroen E-C4.

The Opel Mokka is also electric now too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

I think if you order right spec of Model Y now it should be ready in few weeks, but this is much bigger car than LEAF and in my experience with old suspension a bit less comfy.

There is good availability AFAIK for ID.3, ID.4 and Renaul Megan e-Tech if you want to drive new car soon. In those cases you would also get a decent trade-in value and finance package if that is useful to you.

Quick update in case anyone is interested .

Test drove the MY and the Enyaq. Enyaq did nothing for me, it feels like an old petrol car they have dropped an electric motor into. Enjoyed the MY and have a placed an order. The one thing that gets me about the MY is spending almost 50k on a car and getting hubcaps on the wheels. Seems like a cheap out on an otherwise very impressive car

They are alloy covers. Beneath the cap is an alloy wheel. Not a very attractive wheel, but you can cover them with nicer caps which are cheaper to replace than an alloy wheel is to repair. I put uber turbine caps on my M3. Love them because they look great and also protect the otherwise exposed edg of the rim.

You made a good choice. Just don't test a M3. You will want one instead 😅

Stay Free

Yeah, even sitting in the M3 was enough to make me want it but practicality won out and I know that I am now old enough that boot size is what makes a decision for me 😅

The upgraded wheels are just an alloy though are they? No hubcap?

If MY had of been available at a reasonable sub 60k price last year, that is what I would have ordered for extra space for kids etc. The hatch would be preferable. However, the seating position in the M3 works wonders for my back and I wouldn't risk changing that now.

The wheels on the 3 and Y are just covered with hubcaps. Check out this video on the Y https://youtu.be/X89v-Jkikqc

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭silver_sky

The covers is just for additional aerodynamics. You can pull it off and there's a full alloy underneath.

Tesla (and others) sell a centre cap kit then.

https://shop.tesla.com/en_ie/product/model-y-gemini-wheel-cap-kit

Advertisement