Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting out suckler cows

Options
  • 06-04-2023 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I’m going to let out the cows out tomorrow after their first winter inside. Should I give them anything (dose or injection) before letting them out or are the ok. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Nope. They don’t pick up worms in the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Minerals are the only thing cattle need for the first few weeks at grass. Have a lick bucket with them or give the bolus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Yep as Anto said above - magnesium lick buckets or bolus

(remember bolus only covers magnesium for 30 days so often better to just go with the bucket. Flip side of that is that with the bolus you’re sure they’ve got it whereas no guarantee that all cows will lick the buckets - dealers choice really)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Really if you are giving them a bolus it should be done a few days before they are let out so that it has a chance to go into their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Skerries Steve

Got caught a few years ago, with the bonuses, cow down with tetany couldn't save her told the vet had given her the bonuses, and he said they sometimes can bring 1 up while chewing the cud, you need the 2 boluses to be hitting off one another in the stomach to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Yes few days before lettin out, I find to do them in head locking barrier and leave a few min to c do they bring up, find it rare that they bring up only the odd one that it's tough enough to start with, got caught with tetney, I do them going out and in autumn

Advertisement