Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacment hardwood slats for cast iron bench

Options
  • 06-04-2023 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm looking for replacement hardwood bench slats for a cast iron bench, the original ones are long gone so wondering if its worth my while trying to repair it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭893bet

Bump. Same question.

Of the top of my head I would be thinking cedar wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Hardwood doesn't usually come in nice tidy sizes like softwood. Most joiners buy slabs and then maching it to the dimensions they need.

Iroko would be the modern equivalent of teak and ideal for the job and most joiners would be familiar with it.

What part of the world are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

As what pointer says. Also the span is important, if its say, 1.8m, you'll need a thick board. Another option, buy treated soft wood, sand or plane it to tidy it up and paint it white.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a similar situation; i reckon the span is about 150cm, and the slats are probably (rough guess) 18mm thick. my father in law has his attic 'floored' with planks of some tropical hardwood, and i'm eyeing that up for when he finally lifts them to properly insulate his attic.

getting the old bolts off will be fun, when it comes to disassembling the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I cut some for my father from 2cm deep oak floorboards which we took up during a reno. He was delighted as the oak darkened to match the original wood and it's solid since.

Some of the reclamation / salvage places would have hard-wood in suitable lengths.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oak would be easy to stain dark anyway with some steel wool in vinegar. a different type of dark, mind. and i don't know how weatherproof that would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bluezulu49

They are well worth refurbishing. I have restored 3, all of which had rotten timbers and were being dumped.

The timber I used is Iroko from Strahan Timber cut into strips 6.5

cm x 2 cm and it is fastened to the ends using stainless countersunk allen head bolts. My carpenter son cut them and routed the sides of the seat and back for seating comfort. The front piece on the seat was routed on 3 sides to prevent chafing the backs of sitters legs

The cast parts were cleaned using a wire brush on an angle grinder and painted with Lowes Rust paint. Care is needed with the cast parts. I destroyed one seat when it fell from the table I had it on to facilitate painting onto the patio below and it snapped a leg.

In my experience the easiest way to remove the old bolts is an anglegrinder.

what finish did you use on the wood?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Those are very nice! The ends usually are quite expensive in auctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bluezulu49

I used this varnish, first coat thinned with white spirit, subsequent coats (2) unthinned. Seats are taken in for the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Enter Username Here

Did you ever find a place in Ireland that sells them?

I have two bench ends and I need to get the correct screws and possibly bolts (coach bolts?) as well as the wood. Preferably oak or cedar but I am struggling to find any Irish places online that might sell bench slats. Searching brings up a few places in the UK, but then I believe shipping and tax comes on top of those prices which already seem steep. I would prefer to buy from an Irish store anyway. Any prices I've seen for just the slats, are the same price or more expensive than getting a brand new cast iron and wooden bench.

I plan on ringing timberireland tomorrow assuming they are open and finding out if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Aravo

How about a recycled plastic board. A lot of local authorities use recycled plastic boards when replacing seats. Different colour options also.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Enter Username Here

I would prefer wood, but that sounds like a good idea, and probably easier to get a hold of. I thought I have seen the slats you are referring to, but I would not know where to get them.

It's not the composite plastic slats is it? They seem to be twice the price, but I must be looking at the wrong things, would you know where to get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭spuddy4711

I got a similar sized bench from a garden centre and used the slats.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Aravo

Irish recycled products are based in Birr. They sometimes sell the slats and off you go. Murray's recycled plastic are based in Mayo. Likely to be others that also do them. What part of the country are you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Go onto the free section of Adverts.ie, there's always beds and other furniture being given away there that you could savage the wood from.

Advertisement