Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Rugby thread ban

Options
  • 06-04-2023 5:35pm
    Subscribers Posts: 41,479 ✭✭✭✭

i have been banned today for 2 weeks by moderator aloooof for a discussion on the thread. I believe the moderator deliberately exacerbated the heat of the discussion and then banned me when they lost lost their cool. what they accused me of, in thread, was 100% incorrect and based on their own interpretation of the "tone" of text. I dont believe that, within that particular thread, this moderator can be considered a good judge of tone because of their explicit biases on the subject, especially at a time when they are contributing to the "heat" of the discussion. This was also at a time when there was a concerted "pile on" from other munster biases posters to what i consider was perfectly reasonable posting of some rugby news. This pile on was not actioned in any way by the mod alooof, in fact they added to it.

the moderator has give 3 reasons to thread ban me:

Griefing the thread as already explained.

Being sarcastic / condescending in this post: “yeah cos all of you lads had already confirmed it here already.. oh wait?? so maybe youd all like to post here as to who exactly is coming in to replace healy? seeing as youre all in the know”.

Questioning a mod warning on thread.

1 there is no definition of "griefing" the thread... does this mean posters are only allowed post positively in provincial threads? if so that clarification needs to be given asap.

2 while i refute 100% that i was sarcastic or condescending, where is it in the forums rules that this leads to a thread ban? there are plenty of sarcastic posts made daily all over the rugby forum, but considered "banter" by reasonable posters

3 The moderator didnt tell me what i was "warned" from doing? They only said "final warning" without describing to me what they were waring from form? im not amind reader. also, where in the forum rules does it say that questioning a moderator warning leads to a thread ban??

i have had similar issues with admin awec, so i would prefer if a different cmod or admin could look at this please. If it has to be awec, thats fine once he can remove his previous issues he had with me in the deliberation.

Also, my previous dispute resolution thread was a complete waste of time as the time take to get an admin to review went beyond the actual ban itself... and even at that point no admin had reviewed it. So can someone please review this and bring some common sense to this.

here is the pm exchange:

Munster Team Talk Thread VII - The Larkham Asylum

• aloooof4:53 pm
    • https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120448622#Comment_120448622
    • Mod: But you didn’t say “more work to do” and went on to be sarcastic and condescending. Final warning on this.

• "sarcastic and condescending" ??
    • there is absolutely no post from me in here today that is either sarcastic or condescending and if you think there is then you need to check your moderation gauge! A piece of advice for you, dont try to gauge tone from text. action me is i use unacceptable words or phrases, but dont try to assume what 'tone' im posting in as you are way off the mark.
    • why is it in the munster thread alone that any piece of conversation by someone who supports another province is treated with such paranoia and preciousness?? I posted a piece of news, with a perfectly reasonable, commonly used, idiom ... but yet the pile on comes, and the threats are made?

• View Post

• Threadbanned for 2 weeks.

• sydthebeat 5:03PM
    • for what?
    • be specific here now, becuase this will be going to an admin who isnt awec !
    • what forum rule did i break to warrant a threadban?

• aloooof 5:09PM
    • The charter was updated recently to the following
    • Fans of any province are welcome to post in any provincial thread, but when you post in the thread of a province other than your own you must accept that if you are deemed to be trolling or griefing you will be dealt with more harshly. If it comes down to it, the mods will side with the posters of the province that the thread is for.
    • You should also be well aware by now not to question a mod actions on thread.
    • If you are wish to dispute this, by all means feel free to follow that process.

• sydthebeat 5:15PM
    • so was i "trolling" or "griefing"?? i refute that completely... im not even sure "griefing" actually has any definition by the way
    • you need to be very clear here becuase you still have not shown me , either in the thread, or here in the messages, what exactly i have been thread banned for. i need this clarity in order to dispute the ban, because at the moment it doesn't look like anything other than you personally didn't like what i posted.
    • so why have i been thread banned?
    • you claim i was sarcastic and condescending, please show where i was ? as i would refute that 100% as well.

• aloooof 5:22PM
    • Griefing the thread as already explained.
    • Being sarcastic / condescending in this post: “yeah cos all of you lads had already confirmed it here already.. oh wait?? so maybe youd all like to post here as to who exactly is coming in to replace healy? seeing as youre all in the know”.
    • Questioning a mod warning on thread.
    • By all means feel free to pursue this further.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,728 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hi @sydthebeat ,

I've moved this to Help Desk, as thread bans are not dealt with in Dispute Resolution.

I mod Rugby, so I won't be a decision maker in this. @ShamoBuc is the current Sports CMod, tagging so they see this.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,479 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thank you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

@sydthebeat Hi, I've had a read through the thread in question

Your first post this afternoon was the following.....

A few posters commented on the ' cat among the pidgeons' bit - as it was fairly well known for around 3 months.

Your reply was indeed a bit sarcastic - or as another poster put it 'snarky'.....

You were then told to change your tone if you wanted to continue posting in the thread... you thought the following would be an improvement...

Not much of an improvemnet in my view.

A Mod Note was then posted and you thought it would be a good idea to quote it..... for that, I always give a Warning, it should have gone to PM if you had an issue with a Mod Note. Arguing on a thread with a Moderator is a Warning.

I've highlighted where you thought Backseat Moderation would be a good idea - telling a Moderator how they should Moderate is the bare definition of Backseat Moderation and a Warning as per Rugby Charter.

You were well worth a Warning and as per update in the Rugby Forum - which you are aware of - Threadbans are to be used more often.

You derailed the thread with your posts today, especially your latter ones..

The sanction stands in my view.

derailed it by posting news about a player who had come from munster and was rumoured to be returning?? well thats a unique take i guess.

so can you please let me know why these responses are acceptable but mine was described as "snarky":

Oh Sweet Summer Child, you have a lot of learning to do... :P

Agents my friend. Agents.

I’m off to start a Prendergast rumour.

Flannery has 3 starts at 10 in his pro career.

I think the cats having a nap, tbh.

all 3 of which were posted before my comment.

theres some very, very selective defining going on here... and worse still is 2 of those comments are from a moderator.

you think thats acceptable?

A few posters commented on the ' cat among the pidgeons' bit - as it was fairly well known for around 3 months.

wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

To sum up...

You were told to improve your posting..... you didn't.

You quoted a Mod Note - no other poster did. I would have given you a warning for that alone.

You very Blatantly Backseat Moderated - no other poster did. I would have given you a Warning for that.

You received a Warning and a Threadban ( latter posts derailed the thread) as a result.

I would have issued you with an extra Warning if I'm honest.

My advice is to liisten to a Moderator's Instructions in the future. PM them if you have an issue with a Mod note.

Do not quote a Mod Note.

Do not Backseat Moderate.

I hope the above is clear enough for you.

As previously mentioned, sanction stands.

And my advice to you and the forum mods there is to stop trying to discern "tone" from posts because they are getting it spectacularly wrong.

Maybe update the forum charter to reflect that provincial posters in their own threads are allowed to post in a manner that other posters are not, so therefore are inherently unfair.... As a fair warning to posters who are not fans of the province the thread is about.... Because the status quo of them moderation as it stands is not clear or fair at all.

Advertisement