Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illness benefit

Options
  • 07-04-2023 5:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi, I am currently certified as unfit to work by my Dr, however, my illness benefit has expired and I am just getting credits. Am I eligible for jobseekers allowance? I was given an application form for Supplementary Welfare Allowance, is this the same as JSA? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

If you are unfit for work you cannot claim jobseeker allowance.

Fill in the form you were given to apply for SWA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You’re not fit for work so you can’t get Jobseekers.

Complete the SWA but you will have to apply for either or both of Disability Allowance and Invalidity Pension immediately if you want to get SWA for any length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭larrykinney

How long can I claim SWA for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

That depends on how quickly you apply for DA/IP, how long it takes to process your application, wether you are successful in your application etc

If your application is unsuccessful then you might continue to get SWA if you decide to Appeal.

Ultimately it’s up to the CWO.

As I already explained, you can only get SWA if you’ve applied for another scheme. SWA is also meanstested.

Advertisement