Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should you address issues with your Line Manager when still on probation?

• 08-04-2023 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13 Toots77

I'm still on probation in my job. When I first spoke to my Line Manager about my position he mentioned that I might be able to do cover in other areas of the organisation when required. He also said I would be starting off in the office I am now in and "see how I go there". Now its not the worst job but I feel once I have everything done I do have free time and its not the most friendly of offices to work in and the atmostphere can be quite negative and I sometimes feel so confined there. I am wondering if I should approach my LM and not necessarily say anything negative about my job but enquire about the cover he mentioned in other areas of the organisation and maybe say I would just like the experience, which is also true. Perhaps if did get experience in other areas and something came up there after my probation period I could apply. My worry is bringing this up during my probation period in case it looks like I'm not happy there? I know there will be opportunity there once I'm permanent to move but I'd love to give myself a better chance of this happening by getting more experience (as well as doing it for my sanity!) I want to stay working for the organisation just not necessarily in the position I'm currently in.

Comments

Yes absolutely.

If you have time to do additional tasks, I am sure he/she will be pleased. Probation is the best time to go that extra mile.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

No don't "address the issues", just explain that you have free capacity and perhaps you can help out with the cover he mentioned previously - don't come across as being negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

This is an excellent attitude. Fair play. I'd love to hear that.

As opposed to saying something like "free capacity ", maybe say something like "I'd love the opportunity to help out with my colleagues in other departments. Get to know them, understand what they require, further my knowledge...blah, blah blah". Any lm worth their salt will manage it. Make sure you're primary job is done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Toots77

Thanks for the replies, yes I can definitely do my job and get everything done I need to even if I'm not there 5 days a week. I am hardworking and meticulous thankfully so I will ask my LM and see how it goes, what will be will be I guess. 😁

Advertisement