Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy clay lawn advice

Options
  • 09-04-2023 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Bought a house last year which has really heavy clay soil which doesn't drain at all and is a constant mud patch.

Local hire depot has a plug aerator but aside from starting it and pushing it I really have no idea what I should be doing with it.

For example, if I remove hundreds of plugs will the clay not just sink to fill the holes or should I try fill the holes with compost or sand or something else?

I don't mind hiring the machine if it will improve things but I don't want to waste time and money with no improvement or possibly even make things worse.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Don't add sand to clay whatever you do.

I'm the same and just went with wildflowers for damp clay soil. Can't be arsed mowing a lawn for which I have no use for.

Is it both front and back or just one garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

As much as I love ponds, our 2 front lawns were desperate due to our heavy clay and full of rushes. We added a herringbone drainage system to the dampest areas of the lawn, covered with drainage chips and topped with free draining soil that we bought in. We aerate and scarify each spring just to maintain it. It definitely made a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Just the back garden but I'd like to keep the lawn. I dug out flower beds along the sides and added loads of compost but that's not practical for the entire lawn.

Scarifierd heavily last year which got rid of all the thatch and actually got the grass growing but it didn't do anything for drainage. Have you any links to an example of your drainage system? I've no problem doing any donkey work, it's the expertise I'm lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

You need worms and plenty of them. They will 'drill' paths underground that will aerate the clay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

One thing I have noticed is the lack of worms anytime I'm digging in the garden, other than the compost heap, I've never seen one.

I doubt it's as easy as just buying worms and dumping them on the lawn though, unless I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would assume the worms will only drill those holes if there's organic material in the clay for them to eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

If its small area hire rotavator and rotavate the clay adding lots of woodchips and compost (ton or 2) with small layer of compost on top for reseeding the lawn. That will not only improve drainage but also increase organic content, microbiome and worm activity.

Advertisement