Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Hub 6

Options
  • 09-04-2023 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm new to virgin media (and new to ireland) previously I was with Andrews and Arnold in the UK where everything "works like it should"

Does anyone have any experience of the virgin media hub 6? The configuration options seem very limited.

Here are the things that I've noticed:

On its internal interface it advertises a /57 - great I though. However I cannot find ANY way to get anything other than the /64 traffic into my LAN from the internet. I tried advertising a /58, a /64 and even having a /128 in a different /64 but although I know it's getting to the hub (I send over ethernet and see it over wifi), I cannot get any traffic from the internet. traceroute shows that the packets are getting to the hub, just not getting any further. Even if I give a host a /128 on something other than the base /64 I still don't get any traffic to them.

The hub only seems to forward traffic for /128 that it knows about. So I'm running a nat configuration currently. I want my hosts to have publicly routable IPs but sitting behind my own firewall. Has anyone managed to achieve that without using NAT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Have you put the Hub into bridge mode already to pass the public IP address to your own firewall.

As far as I can rememebr you'll only get 1 routable Ip address per port on a residental connection. Nopt even sure if you'll get any more IPs on a small business connection either

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ie2023

It doesn't seem to have a bridge mode at all. I assume that's because it's using DS-Lite so no public routable IPv4 at all. I'd be ok doing that myself but I guess that's why they don't have a bridge mode on the hub-6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

The Irish virgin media is a different setup than UK

You're better off forgetting about ipv6, and calling up and asking for IPv4

Those boxes in IPv6 mode boxes will drive you mad as they have very limited options

Oh, wow. This hub 6 is insane.

I've been having problems with DNSSEC - in particular failing to resolve deb.debian.org.

I run my own bind server - which then (can) point to the resolvers given in the RA:

RDNSS 2001:730:3ec2::10 2001:730:3ec2::11

{

AdvRDNSSLifetime 300;

}; # End of RDNSS definition

However:

delv -t cname deb.debian.org +rtrace +tcp @2001:730:3ec2::10

;; fetch: deb.debian.org/CNAME

;; fetch: debian.org/DNSKEY

;; resolution failed: timed out

The DNSKEY data is 1661 bytes long, being sent in two tcp packets. However the router is dropping them (at least I assume it's the router dropping them)

I've run a (remote) dns server on a non-standard port and magically the queries work. I can also see the two packets being sent out that the router is not delivering!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As mentioned above, if you are doing anything technical, then contact VM, ask them to switch you to IPv4, this will make the modem only mode available in the settings, switch to the modem only mode and then use your own better router or wifi. You should be able to do whatever you want then.

• Advertisement

Except that I need IPv6. Although the way this is going perhaps ipv4 only and then a ipv6 tunnel broker is the best solution.

I've made a tiny bit of progress, I can now send out packets on the entire /57 after making a dhcpv6 prefix delegation request to the hub - which gave me a /60 - go figure. But I still cannot get any traffic to cross the hub inbound other than known IPs on the main /64. Even the SYN+ACK of an outbound SYN is being swallowed.

DNS I've fixed by talking to a server on a non-standard port, at least for now.

Anyone know if it's possible to request a IPv6 prefix in bridged mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Just use a tunnel broker and go with ipv4 mode. You'd do well to get a good answer out of VM. At least with ipv4, set the router to bridge only mode and control your own access.

Advertisement