Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newtownmountkennedy vs Rathnew opinions re purchasing?

Options
  • 09-04-2023 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi all,

Apologies if post doesn’t meet the requirements.

short story: couple in late 20’s looking to buy a property(apartment/house) in Newtownmountkennedy or Rathnew. Would like to kindly ask any opinions from people living there regarding life in general, such as facilities/amenities…schools/creches, safety also commuting to Dublin…we work few days in Rathgar / Blackrock.

there is an estate called Glenbrook Hall in Newtownmountkennedy and currently an apartment on sale there… also in Rathnew some houses called Charvey Court, Wilton Manor…

anyone living there that can give an input, please?

would appreciate very much any help whatsoever…

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

The traffic on the N11 between Carrickmines and The Sugar loaf is chronic during rush hour. Expect to waste 10 hours at least per week if you are working in Dublin. CIE bus services are not the best either. Getting to Greystones for he Dart is painful and there is no parking basically.

If you are going to live in an apartment it will be the same as living in any apartment in Ireland. There will be little to no community spirit and you will be forced to small talk uncomfortably with any familiar faces you begin to come accustomed to. Given that you will meet them in the car park after a stressful 90 minutes of gridlock on the Glen of the Downs you should be prepared to get your game face on if you are hoping to fraternise with them.

Make sure it is well sound proofed.

If you are looking to live in rural Wicklow get up the mountains. Much nicer there anyways and you get snow in the winter.

The locals will ignore you for the first 5 - 10 years anyways, don't even bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BtxKiddo

Thanks for your reply and for the honesty! 🤣

to be sincere, i don’t have a high community spirit either but it’s nice to have somehow good neighbors…

when you are talking about up the mountains what towns specifically if you don’t mind?

I would look into Avoca, Woodenbridge, Moyne, Aughavanna, Rathdrum, Aughrim, Tinahely....

It would be more of my idea of Wicklow living.

Expect the same treatment form the locals however... good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭recyclops

I am in Newtown the last 6 years and work close enough to Blackrock and used to commute daily and now commute 2/3 times a week, I have never had to travel for 90 minutes and its only stressful if you let it get to you, I find a 40 min podcast is perfect. When schools are off you can make it in 30 mins.

Regarding Greystones park and ride its fairly handy 10 min drive and again I have never had an issue here although I tend to use it in the afternoon and weekends. Locals are generally fine here, I myself woudlnt be overly outgoing but any interactions have been good.

I would imagine as your both young enough you would be looking to potentially get out to Dublin frequently both Newtown and Rathnew are on the 133 bus route and again its fine if you happy to sit on a bus for a hour or so ( again not at rush hour but out for gigs and matches) and the last one leaves town at midnight so no early rushes to get home.

As for wicklow living your 10 mins from the mountains and 10 from the sea so whatever your outdoor poison is youll find it easily enough. Cant say much for Glenbrook as its behind the Dunnes but all amenities are on your doorstep

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BtxKiddo

Thanks for your reply, really helpful! we are considering Rathnew more at this stage than Newtown due to its surroundings and properties availability. seems a nice town, been there couple of times so far and enjoyed it.

thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭prunudo

Hard to say, as you're comparing an apratment to houses. But and I'm biased, I think Newtown is the better option. You're less than 5 mins walk to bus stop with both Bus Eireann and Dublin bus options, pubs takeaway, schools, creches, cafe, Dunnes Stores, hotel, lovely river/forest walks, new park, football pitches. Then you also have Roundwood and the mountians 10 min drive away. Plus it has a good community feel.

Yes those things exist in Rathnew, but its bigger, more spread out, everything is hilly, and the main village is a bit further away and Wicklow town further again.

You could do the Newtown option without a car, you can't do that in your Rathnew options

Op, i am of course being unfair about the locals.

They will warm to you after a while, usually after 5-10 years they should be fine. At first you will be forgiven for thinking that they are travellers, the Cill Mhantain brogue has a distinct tint and fervor to its delivery, if you don't believe me try Dunnes Stores in Wickala Towen this afternoon, it sounds like the Poc Fair in Kilorgan or Ballinasloe.

But in all fairness lie, day have a fechkin grey set a mountains and vallies for walken in, juz dome brin out yur dags like, farmas go mad bout de sheep in all.

Failte go Cill Mhantain... agus ná be ag caint, thigim?

Advertisement