Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor tax

Options
  • 10-04-2023 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello there,

I'm just testing the water here but I have a 2009 vw Jetta (Petrol engine/manual). I'm paying €223 every three months in road tax and feel this is overcharging. Anyone in a similar position?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Allinall

I had a 2ltr diesel and was paying €953 a year on tax.

Spent €27k on a new car and now pay €190 tax.

Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What you feel is kind of irrelevant! The rates are the rates.

Pay for 12 months up front and it's a bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

This is common knowledge. I was paying €200 every three months on a 2 litre car on the old CC system. I actually was paying that for two different cars over the years. A BMW and a Subaru. I then got performance 1.6 litre Jap cars cars a Levin and a Mivec and I think I was paying €145 every three months on those cars. I then bought a brand new car in 2021 and I now pay €190 a year on car tax.

Just reading through post it seems they were my only cars they were not I tonnes of different cars over the 21 years I have been driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Buffman

Pay for the full year and save €100 . Even if you have to take out a credit union loan to cover it you'll be better off.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

What model was that ?

2ltr diesel should be €710 on cc tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If the car is a good one and fulfills your needs just keep it.

The amount you save in motor tax won't go far towards the car loan you will have to pay.

Advertisement