Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to grow grass in a raised bed?

Options
  • 10-04-2023 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have zero green fingers or thumbs so bear with me if this is a ridiculous question but would it be possible to grow a small patch of grass in a raised flower bed (depth approx 20cm) or would it die within days? The raised bed would be on a metal surface so no other vegetation would grow through the bed.

Is it as straightforward as filling the raised bed with soil and then grass seeds or am I massively underestimating it?

thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's possible but will need very regular watering. Can I ask why you want to grow grass like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

People grow grass roofs. I presume it's similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭unimaginativeusername

I’m hoping to get a dog soon. During the day I’ll bring her outside hourly to build a toilet training routine but I’m toying with the idea of a real grass patch on the balcony for middle of the night or emergencies. With the point of a patch of real grass to keep the routine going so she knows grass means she can go. I’d rather she didn’t get used to puppy pads as she may associate fabric/textiles with toilet time.

Advertisement