Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for Self Build

Options
  • 11-04-2023 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

This feels a little lazy, but...

Currently running an i5 / Gtx 1060 build that I did about 6 years ago. Its mostly capable, but I've started noticing a few issues that seem to be indicating some pending component failures.

I'm a bit out of touch with the current landscape of hardware. My objective with a new build would be:

Light gaming, I don't tend to play AAA games, or heavy graphic demanding games. I play Marvel Snap, Dota, used to play the likes of Hearthstone etc. Very occasionally I might load of PUBG or something of its ilk. Probably whatever the equivalent of a 1060 is now is where I would aim for (bang for buck middleground).

Thereafter, general work stuff (lots of meetings, ms office stuff, the odd bit of coding or video/image editing), entertainment (music, movies etc). Snappy experience, multitasking. I do run dual monitors, currently both 1080p max 75hz, but would also be considering upgrading those to higher resolutions and frame rates, so that would need to be taken into account.

So I suppose what I'm looking for is some indication of where the best bang for the buck is? Nvidia? AMD? Intel? I'm not aiming for bleeding edge, just another solid desktop that could do me for the next 5/6 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Some AM4 CPU and either a b450 or b550 board(which ever is cheaper) with DDR4 3600MHz RAM. I'm not sure on the GPU front as I've only been high end the past couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Coyler

That or the 12400f/B660 combo. Flip a coin to decide.

As for GPU, wait for the 7700XT in June. Or it’s pricing announcement at least. The 4070 pricing has already created havoc at it looks like the 7700XT will do similar further down the stack. Your 1060 will be grand for a little while longer at 1080p60.

When you do buy a GPU just consult Logical Increments and choose a GPU, second hand or new, that matches or exceeds the current console gen. Won’t guarantee anything but at least you give yourself a fighting chance

Post edited by Coyler on

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Given they mentioned video editing I'd say buying an Intel F processor is a foolish move. For example Gamers Nexus recently said in a video they moved their editing systems from Threadrippers to i9-13900K (I think, Intel non-F anyway) just because of quicksync.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Coyler

Didn't spot that. Thanks. Yes, don't go for the F version. As someone who runs a plex server I understand how handy QuickSync is. That would tip the 12400/B660 combo as long as video editing is that important to you.

Advertisement