Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMS over Wi-Fi.

Options
  • 11-04-2023 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭

Is EIR and gomo the only providers that support SMS over Wi-Fi.

Hoping to get a provider with this service as I've no reception in my area and Vodafone don't support it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Three offer wifi calling now too so I assume sms also works over wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

Ya, Vodafone offer wifi calling also but not SMS over Wi-Fi

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Yes - Eir & Gomo are the only providers that fully support WiFi Calling, including SMS, handover to VOLTE(4G Calling), and use while roaming (to avoid roaming charges). Vodafone have a limited service, but don't support SMS or WiFi Calling use while roaming. Three service is a joke, and doesn't even include iPhones! (probably not approved by Apple). You may get limited person-to-person SMS on Vodafone by using RCS, but this is unlikely to include the vital 2FA texts that are essential for logging into so many sites.

Eir customer service isn't giving me much confidence but guess I've no other option. Why the biggest mobile phone provider dosent support this simple option is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I noticed that when i used wifi calling on gomo/eir you can only send sms but not receive. You can receive if you have signal from the network but if you have zero network signal you can’t receive texts.

• Advertisement

I asked gomo, they told me you can send & recieve from wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Delete

• Registered Users Posts: 14 boardsuser1000

I was on Eir until January. Gomo is really Eir with a different logo on the bill. I could sent texts over wifi but couldn't receive them over wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭rhinosaurious

I really recommend Eir/GoMo. Solid network and especially for over the wifi.

Advertisement