Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergal Horgan "Retires"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

This guy is not the GAA. Don't know what you're saying there.

Well, that's a big problem there. Terrible communication.

Talking about finals - that's just addresses something that wasn't raised. Displacement of the issue. A stupid point.

Snaky dig about retiring last year thrown in.

Tries to make out it's only Fergal that has a problem.

See Gavin's interview above.

You don't give a top ref two games of prep for championship. That in itself is terrible management of the refs. There were over 50 games in the top divisions of the league alone.

Snaky digs throw in by yourself? A decent ref - way better than a decent ref.

It's not up to Fergal to go back to anyone. They already didn't get back to him. This is a PR exercise from Kent gone wrong. I'd say he won't be in the job much longer nor will CRAC. Might be a chance of getting Fergal back after they're gone and CRAC is disbanded for something better.

Up to the refs to stick up for themselves now - now is the time to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Did he send the text about retiring?

Gavin isn't part of the inter-county panel and hasn't been for a few years. It's easy for him to criticise now. Didn't hear much of it when he was one of the top men.

Fergal has closed the door on himself. 100% he won't be back is what he said.

Yes a decent ref. One of the best actually. But he's not bigger than the association. How do you think other refs will have taken his comments clearly aimed at them? Perhaps they will be happy enough to see him go.

Listen I didn't think the GAA or a sub committee of the GAA would respond publicly but they have have. It's obvious what the issue is here. They have laid out the appointments of the bigger championship ties of the last few years and league ties this year. Kent is correct. The argument and criticisms really don't add up and it's nonsensical to believe that he walked away because he didn't get a few extra league games. He would certainly have been one of the busiest officials come championship.

I don't think I'm the only one on here who believe he has walked away based on the last 2-3 months of NHL appointments.

More to this than meets the eye and his interview seems like a parting shot. I think he was always going to retire based on the text he sent. Best of luck to the guy and would be good if he reconsidered but he hasn't come out of that interview looking good.

All the issues are in Fergal's and Gavin's interviews. I suggest reading it. You seem to have an agenda and are not happy to actually read what's in it but instead stick to possible interpretations outside of it.

We have never been in a poorer position with refs and their development lags way behind the rest of the game. That's down to CRAC and the association. A top ref at the top of his game just retired. That's says it all.

You asked me would Fergal go back? Now, you answer the question yourself in the way you wanted it answered. Now you're telling me what Feral is thinking. I think that says it all on your position.

Ok. Fergal clearly stated his opinion and thoughts in a public forum .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

JP McManus might give Fergal a thank you break in Barbados.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Why indeed.

The poster thinks they're being funny. It's a way of belittling refs. You hear it from players laughing that a ref announced a retirement - who does he think he is and then a few breaths later saying how refs get nothing for what they do and what a tough job it is and how they wouldn't do it in a million years. No thanks for it. But have no awareness of how the attitude towards refs contributes towards their status as verbal punchbags for everyone.

The life of the man in the middle in the GAA is a disaster. We're heading for a strike during championship if things keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Hurling needs more than 1 ref these days, its to fast for 1 lad to maintain control of it all.

That being said, I've no idea why the umpires aren't relied on more for the off the ball stuff you always see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭The White Feather

The fitness test only applies to the Championship panels it would seem. So any arguments that refs who hadn't passed the fitness test getting league games are nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

That interview with the newstalk Chap was a disgrace and embarrassing alright but from the interviewer , dreadful stuff. He had no interest in actually asking Horgan any real questions just talking down to him, belittling him.

A disgrace by newstalk , he even said to horgan at one stage we should trust the process around gaa selecting refs for games, bizarre stuff.

Jesus the arrogance.

Some good points but overall just bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Fitness test for the League as well but its set at a lower level, I think its 16.4 if 17.1 is the Champo one.

Advertisement