Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Room Insulation

Options
  • 12-04-2023 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Seeking advice on this.

Supplier of garden room (6m x 3m) is going to use 12ml plasterboard and 100ml earth wool, walls and ceiling. Windows and French doors will be triple glazed.

Its going in a north facing location where no natural sunlight will enter the doors or windows.

Will the 100ml earthwool coupled with tripled glazing sufficiently insulate the room?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Biker1

Nowhere near enough insulation. You'll freeze in the winter and boil in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's going in a north facing location where no natural sunlight will enter the doors or windows.

No, they'll freeze in the winter and freeze in the summer. 😀

Aside from thickness, is earthwool even suitable for vertical applications? Surely it'll slump? Plus cold bridging through the studs.

I'd be looking for (solid) insulated plasterboard at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭gandalfio

It's made from a fibre cement wall, not wood, a box profile steel roof with anti condensation barrier and felt underlay, if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

what way are you heating or cooling it? they use the wool, as it is far quicker for them... than cutting out endless pieces to stick between the studs , or it could be sprayfoamed. Certainly from the installer side, the wool is the quickest and least hassle... how long do they reckon it will take to build?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Not sure how long. It'll be heated using a built in electric heater. Cooled by opening windows (3 windows measuring 1800x750mm).

I agree, the wool is way easier for them. I could request thicker wool, but then it's eating into the floor and roof space (6x3m), 2 metre high at it's lowest point. I've had mixed responses on this, the guys in the thread above saying 100mm in no where near enough, and some friends who say it'll be fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement