Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice after consultation please

Options
  • 12-04-2023 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi , and thank in advance for anyone who reads through and can offer any advice to me on my situation. After many years of dental phobia, attempts at getting work done, some of it going badly and add to that removed healthy teeth as a teenager by a HSE (then) dentist, my teeth what are left of them are in a very bad way. I grind my teeth and my upper front teeth are very worn away and chipped. I recently braved it out and had a consultation with a very nice dentist who recommended extensive work on my remaining teeth, this includes 8 root canals , 2 implants bridges, and crowns on everything . Needless to say this is coming in at an eye watering amount of money. I have another consultation booked for next month, in the meantime I’m looking for some advice on this amount of work, he said I should save as many teeth as possible, but would I just be better off having them extracted and getting all on four for that amount of money. What are the pros and cons of all that work, what is the timeframe, he said 6 to 9 months, and finally can anyone recommend a dentist in the north east or Dublin (by pm) I feel very overwhelmed by it all right now 😪

Thank you for reading

Post edited by JoelyD on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JoelyD

Bump to see if anyone is interested in replying. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Yes anything to do with teeth is expensive as i was at the dentist for extraction this morning and still tasting blood. Yes implant about 2 k

I hope you are ok after your extraction. Yes my treatment plan is coming in at around 20k 😣

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I expect you’ll find the other consultation is a similar cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Painkillers and anti biotics and a little bit of bleeding . Cheers

• Advertisement

A question for dentists, the crown’s recommended by this first dentist are Pfm, I didn’t query this in the consultation but google search has me questioning this now . I grind my teeth so perhaps this is why but im worried about all the negative of them which is the black gum line over time, im in my 50s btw will this be an issue if im lucky to get to 70/80 I can barely afford these crowns now I want them to last me my days 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Different types of crowns are indicated in different situations. Obviously I cannot comment on your case specifically, an all ceramic crown may not be strong enough to withstand your biting/grinding load over an extended period, so you may have to choose between an aesthetically superior type of crown and accept the higher risk of fracture, or, a PFM (porcelain fused to metal) crown with slight compromise in aesthetics, but a lower risk of fracture.

If your dentist has enough tooth to work with, and uses a good lab (gonna cost) then PFMs can look fantastic, and unless you smoke/have poor oral hygiene, there shouldn’t be much risk of seeing those dark lines at the crown margins.

Thanks so much @Dav010 for your reply. My upper teeth are really worn down my lower ones not at all. I don’t smoke and my oral hygiene is excellent which probably seems bizarre considering the amount of work I need done, gums are really healthy I hope these are good positives in my favour

How do I know if my dentist is using a good lab? Is it based on the price ? The price for the pfm on my quote is €600

Advertisement