Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of electricity meter in rental

Options
  • 12-04-2023 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I received a letter or two from ESB about change of meter to a smart meter. They sent me a message the other day about ringing me to set up an appointment.

I don't know why I am getting mailed because it's not my house.

So what do I do here? Do I let the landlord know and let them decide about getting a smart meter?

I've heard bad things about the smart meter, so can I refuse it myself and say the place isn't mine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭herbalplants

It is up to the owner to decide.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

The "bad things" you heard mostly come from people who hate change and hate any "authority"

They also don't believe COVID was a thing, claim 5g was cancer giving and probably that the earth is flat

Isn't it funny how you don't hear issues from people who actually have a smart meter.

If you have any level of intelligence you can take the information a smart meter provides and make substantial savings on use.

I've a smart meter in for over 2 years and the savings are huge because I have a better understanding of usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Have a look at the smart plans on the electricity comparison sites. Probably by next year anyone with a smart meter will have no choice but to be on a smart plan. They are for sure more expensive, by a lot, than normal plans. But if you wanted you could refuse the smart meter for as long as you will be allowed. Eventually though they will increase no smart plans to be even more expensive than smart plans.

Long story short. It is going to happen and it will cost you, the customer even more than you are paying now.

Advertisement