Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2023

• 12-04-2023 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭

Haven’t seen a thread for this…8 or 9 weeks to go. Email went out today that it’s starting at 8:15am which is a change from usual.

This will be my first marathon all going well. I had notions of getting under 4 hours but my training hasn’t been the most consistent.

Only getting out 3 times a week. Averaging between 9 and 10 minutes per mile. Longest run so far is 12miles but I have The Great Railway 25k this weekend which will be a good Indicator of my fitness.

I feel good, a few minor niggles aside. I think should be able to get a 3hr or a 20 mile run in before the big day.

Anyone else doing it?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭event

I am doing it also, it my mates first marathon so said I would do it with him. We will aim for the 4 hour mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

I've run the half with a friend for several years now, they haven't said yet but I'd guess we'll be aiming for 2:15. Taking part in the Railway run as well this Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭brevity

Haven't done the railway run either so looking forward to it.

Hopefully it will be a nice day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

Looks good so far 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Yep signed up for Cork Marathon as well.

I had Manchester booked but spent most of March with a chest infection so decided against it. Training going well. Long run this weekend of 28k and averaging about 60-70km per week.

Looking forward to this marathon. I'm targeting 4 hours and i think with the way my training is going i should be able to hit it.

• Advertisement

Are there any details about the Expo or number collection?

Aaaaand I'm injured. In swiftcare for an x-ray. Absolutely gutted.

When for a light run on Thursday last week and about a mile in my ankle and Achilles started hurting. Walked back home. Couldn't do the railway run as I was too sore which was so disappointing.

Tried to rest but it did nothing and it's getting worse so have to get it looked at.

I am a shell of myself at the moment. Devastated. I kinda needed this mentally but will have to wait to heal up.

It's all in the game I suppose.

Do you know what injury it is?

No not yet. The X-ray showed nothing and the doc said it wasn’t my Achilles. It’s very tender around the inside ankle of my left foot/leg.

Just have to rest it and if it doesn’t get better it will be an MRI to see what’s up.

Could be tendonitis maybe? It’s sore what ever it is. Aches quite a bit in the evening. Neurofen is my friend for now.

Post edited by brevity on

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

They do not post race packs, only collection on Friday or day before race. I have no means of collecting otherwise I would have sign up for half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭weadick

I signed up for it too. My first ever marathon. Hoping to do it in under four hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Trampas

me personally I wouldn’t be listening to a doctor. I’d be going to a physio first and go from there. Especially if they’re from a running background. Doctors will always tell you rest and maybe take a few pills. The physio might suggest a mri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I limped into a physio last July convinced I was on my way to A&E as literally couldn’t walk properly. I had jammed up some bones and ligaments in my foot somehow and she released everything and sent me on my merry way. I strolled out of there and was back running 4 days later. Find yourself a good hands on physio I’d say and you never know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

93 euros for the Cork marathon and no posting of numbers?

LOL

Do many City marathons post packs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well worth giving it a shot, a good sports therapist\phsyio will probably know a) the cause and b) the fix better than a GP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Fair enough. Limerick must have changed, did it a while ago and was no option to post.

I see they have announced the medals will be made of wood this year

• Advertisement

Yes, I heard them saying that on The Runners Diary podcast. Looking forward to seeing them. I‘ve had to pull out due to injury so unfortunately won’t be getting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Sorry to hear that KG, hopefully you're on the mend soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Probably the most important question of all where is good afterwards for us non locals for a few beers?

There’s an after marathon party in Deep South anyway. Not sure where else would be good. If I hear if any more I’ll post them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I just spend 81 euro on a half marathon. Robbing shower of bastrards.

Jesus that's steep

Anyone can recommend handy place to park? Will be driving from Galway in the morning. Running half marathon so expecting some roads will be closed already. Thanks.

Post edited by kave2 on

What time do you reckon you’ll hit Cork? And how well do you know Cork? The side of the city you would normally come in will all be closed and more so this year with the 10Km too. I’m wondering would you be best to turn off at Blarney, head for Ballincollig, head for the Ballincollig By Pass and aim for Black Ash Park and Ride and maybe you’d get lucky in The Elysian or City Hall Car Park. Maybe you could get lucky with on street parking round Sundays Well or around Shandon but it’s all very narrow streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

I usually park in Blackpool shopping centre when coming from the Mallow direction. It's about 2km from the area with the start/finish/bag drop. It's a nice warm-up jog in from there as most of the roads between there and the opera house are closed for the marathon and 10k.

• Advertisement

Thanks @Kellygirl @CR 7

I was looking to be in Cork at 09:00. Unfortunately don't know Cork at all. Was hoping to park between start and finish, Q-park City Hall looks handy.

This way looks ok to get in and avoid road closures. Would that be doable? Thanks.

Advertisement