Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2023

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Phoenix90

Does anyone know what stalls/shops will be at the expo? I was hoping to pick up some Maurten drink mixes for before the race but I cant find any details about the expo online. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

The Edge Sports will be there and might have what you need.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I fell down the mountain doing the Burren challenge on Saturday so have a spare half marathon ticket if anyone wants it for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Any more experienced folks got tips for first timers specific to the course? The hills around 30km and 34km look to be the main challenges? https://www.strava.com/routes/13264620

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Is GPS tracking a bit of a disaster when you hit the Jack Lynch tunnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Well, it will cut off, but reconnect on the other side automatically: you won't get lost.

😂😂😂 good to know.

I suppose what I meant to ask is whether it throws off distancing on the watch by much?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

No.

As it's a pretty straight tunnel, and as the distance is extrapolated in a straight line, it works fine.

• Advertisement

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JimmyChew

Link up with a pace group and stick on for the first few miles to settle in & see how you are going. There's a group every 15 mins from 3hrs to 5hrs I think. They will keep the ship steady throughout and even bank a little bit of time on the easier sections and take it that bit easier on the tougher sections. They'll know the course and even when the water stations are coming up. Try not to go into the red coming out of the jack lynch. Its a tricky little section and it drags on a fair bit. Its early on and you will still be feeling good but could cost you later on if you don't give it a little bit of respect.

250ml water bottles are to be given out take one at least at every station two if you need it. Expect it to get **** late on, don't let it come as a surprise, it will get **** for most people you won't be the only one but you'll feel like you are. Working through that part is what you'll remember most when you are sitting at home wondering how you survived it.

Enjoy it, take a look around once in a while and don't let it pass you by it's an amazing day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Good advice. My days of chasing times are over, so looking forward to just enjoying it. The course description is excellent.

I picked up some salt / electrolyte tabs so i'll have a few of them to ward off the heat hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Nice little pack , t-shirt,socks,mug, chocolate and fulfill Bar.

T-shirt is very tight though. Barely get into the medium and I'd normally go between a small or medium. Maybe I'm overdoing it on the carb loading 🤣

Pity they don't put names on the bibs. It's great to hear random people shouting you name as you pass by.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Ya, I got the XL t-shirt and its rather snug. Don't think I'll be wearing it Sunday. I'm doing the 10k, my first time doing any of it. Would anyone know if I'd be likely to get parking in the City Hall or Elysian car parks if I was there for about 7:30am?

Unisex L is more like an M, lovely design though. Love love love the socks though, better than any tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭shano_88

Can you take a different t shirt sized than the size you ordered?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭thelordgod

I managed to squeeze into my M shirt. It's nice and so are the socks. I've seen a lot worse goody bags.

Parking should be ok I'd imagine. Paul Street only opens at 7.30am (one of the other, bigger car multi storeys).

Best of luck to everyone taking part today. It should be epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Brutal out in that heat.

Really struggled that last 15k. Prob went out a bit hard and 2 marathons in a month for a newbie was maybe a bit much.Was glad to get to the finishing line.

The unreal support on that last stretch made it all worthwhile. I'd say we'll go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭thelordgod

Struggled with injuries today. But made it to the finish. A bit of sunburn on the shoulders but nothing a few bottles of beer wont cure. Great support out there and not a bad course either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I loved that event, One of my fave marathons ever. The course is interesting, locals are great and plenty of water stations. Took a conservative approach due to the heat but kicked on in the last 15k for a 7 min negative split.

Saw lots of people in a bad way from early on. Saw the first people walking from the 7km mark!

Few people in a bad way towards the end, including a couple only a few hundred metres from the line.

Course is much flatter than Dublin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I have some Full Marathon (only) pics taken at Blackrock Castle on my Flickr and FB Pages if anyone is interested.

Flickr: (all one album but schould be in chronological order) https://www.flickr.com/photos/39020932@N05/albums/72177720317520737

Facebook: (5 albums based on Pacers times) https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100035150177629&sk=photos_albums

Cheers…. and well done to everyone that took part

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭shano_88

First marathon and for the most part really enjoyed it, the last 10k or so was a mental battle and I did slow quite a bit but I didn't mind tbh, I was just happy to finish. Alot of bodies were falling towards the end but it was hot and not surprised to see that.

I though the event and support throughout was brilliant. In the second half, there was huge support out in the estates, it really does give a boost. Plenty of water stations and the only one that I couldn't get water, was just after joining with the half marathoners where it was madness for a few kilometres.

Advertisement