Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota Auris automatic. Advice please . . . . . .

• 12-04-2023 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Looking at an Auris 1.6 automatic petrol. It's got paddles on the steering wheel for gear changes. Are these cars as dependable as most Toyotas ? Anything in particular that give problems ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Not sure about the auto box in the standard 1.6 litre but if it is a CVT, then they are generally robust.

Depending on the price you are getting the car for though, I would be more inclined look at the 1.8 Hybrid instead. You are still getting the automatic but the fuel economy will be much, much better. The 1.6 Auto is rated at about 4.9l/100km (48MPG), whereas the Hybrid is quoted at around the 3l/100km (78MPG). Now, these are Manufacturer specs but I ran an Auris Hybrid for 8 trouble-free years and averaged between 3.7 and 4.2l/100km depending on driving style. Mine was the older model (2011 to 2013 model) and the newer shape is supposed to be much improved from an economy standpoint. You won't get paddles on the steering wheel but my current car has paddles and I have barely used them in 2 years of ownership anyway. Stick the car in "Drive" and just let it do it's thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭sumo12

Some of these are full automatics (not CVT) and some are MMT (Multi Mode Transmission). MMT's are basically a manual gearbox with motors that replace the clutch pedal and gearstick. They are not very reliable and not very nice to drive either.

Depends on the year of the Auris and the market it was sold in (I think UK vehicles are full automatics) You need to find out which gearbox it actually has. Full automatic is the one to go for and won't give you any hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The only CVT gearbox in the Auris was in the hybrid version. I think the only other auto option was the horrible MMT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I'd go for the hybrid if possible. Extremely reliable and very common. Dunno how it stacks up money wise versus the 1.6 auto though.

You're correct, but there was a few full auto's mated to the 1.6 Valvematic engine as well. Not many sold in Ireland but a few have found their way over the water from the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Avoid avoid, that Multimode box is chronic on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭kravmaga

A Donegal registered car in Clare? 2009 and its only a 2 door. Avoid avoid avoid, buyer beware screams at me.

The price they are looking for is very high also. Its not worth over 4k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭goochy

600e road tax on a corolla ! Donegal cars end up all over the place

Yep that's a multi mode transmission. Best avoided unless clutch & 2 motors have been replaced recently, by a main dealer who is able to calibrate the system correctly. And even if they have been replaced, they are still a horrible yoke to drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Thanks for the comments. Appreciate them

Advertisement