Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I hadn't paid any attention to the draw until last night on the Snooker World Championship highlights. Ronnie always seems to get the handy draws, always gets the prime times and is always the match of the two tables that is shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

They would be stupid not to though wouldn't they. Ronnie puts bums on seats - best known player. People watch him because of his unpredictability and style of play. Some would like to see him get the eighth. Others want to see him fall on his arse. Either way I bet he gets the highest viewing figures.

Brecel is not an easy draw by the way, Ronnie won't have it handy against him the way he is playing. Should be open match though.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

He's box office nothing strange there

Brecel won't be too handy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ronnie was cruising there, maybe got a bit casual/complacent…pot was missable but one he gets 49 times out of 50.

as I type Vafaei misses a gimmie blue off its spot with the frame very winnable… can’t miss those.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

BBC 1 might need to switch to Robertson v Jones after a bit. Although these days the linear channel coverage is becoming less of an issue as the years go by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Match over now after Vafaei missing frame ball there. 8-2 and no way back.

Yes, this match is over. Ronnie recovered from were he was last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Some ballsy clearance by Ronnie though. Weird move by Vafaei to not make sure of frame ball.

Hopefully he can put a few frames on the board. But don't see Ronnie losing at this stage.

Brecel will cause Ronnie problems though. He's playing out of his skin.

Come on Jack, put this one to bed now

Vafaei dismantled

A lot of it self inflicted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭testtech05

Vafaei after all his talking during the week seems to have heaped too much pressure on himself...

He has had a good chance in pretty much every frame today as far as I remember but had some very poor misses

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It's embarrassing. I've only tuned in a few times and every time he has messed up easy chances. He should have kept his mouth shut, as he's not a good player. Vafaei has messed up in this frame as well on an easy black, which will probably be the last frame of the match. He hasn't just messed up, he's left easy pickings at times. 13-2. A humiliation.

Demolition job

Opponent made it easy for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Nice gesture at the end. He knew he got schooled. Its only sport. .

Ronnie is just a star.

The game wanted a boost and a bit of PR ahead of the hearings on Monday.

Hearings?

Is that the Chinese lads ? Would be bad timing surely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

Ronnie's rarely unmagnanimous (if that's a word) after any facile victory in the big TV tourneys 😁

can do/say what he likes off table, but on big (victorious) days, he's mostly got a big smile and a few nice words for his defeated opponent 🤣🙂

who can forget when he practically molested Trump?? 😂

The hearings are on Monday.

At least I think it means we know where we will stand with these players before the final weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Fitness is often discounted here but I have to believe that Ronnie's fitness helps his concentration and longevity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I had a go at Windscribe and despite being connected to a UK IP, the BBC iPlayer was still telling me the content wasn't available in my location?

Looking forward to SI tonight

Believe he will be too strong for milkins

Future world champion based on his last performance

It is working now for me. I think the trick is turn app on before you go to the bbc website. Then if doesn't work turn it off refresh browser and repeat process again. VPN choice I am using is 'London Custard'

Only one reasonably close match in the second round so far - it is like the early 90's all over again.

Rob Walker interviewing Jak Jones post match.

Walker- 'You seem very calm, I am almost more excited about your win than you are!!!!!!'

--

🙄

Yep, got it, nice one. Only 10GBs free per month unfortunately though, wonder how much snooker that'll get me...

I have been using it a while intermittently. And it never warned me about my usage per month yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Possibly being unfair to hin but I just struggle to trust him in a long match. Not sure I'd be hugely confident of his discipline/focus. He's on Selbys side so would be due to meet in the semis which would be a fascinating tie.

A humbling experience for Vafaei. I'd imagine he'll be keeping his views to himself in future.

O'Sullivan took all the pre-match animosity in his stride, focused on his job, and disposed of his rookie opponent 13-2. Then after the match embraces Vafaei like an old friend, with no hard feeling and encourages the crowd to give Vafaei a nice send off. Absolute class in every respect.

• Advertisement

I'm still cynical - Ronnie has just learnt the PR game. He went waffling about how he regretted saying he said to Hendry how he would send him back to his 'sad little life' years ago and 'learnt from it'. Hendry did not talk to him for two years etc.

But Ronnie neglects to mention all the more recent stuff he said such as calling his fellow pro's 'Numpties'.

Ronnie is just playing the media game now - throw in a bit of 'therapy speak' as well and that is the interview.

Advertisement