Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Selby taking Mark Allen into the trenches, little did he know Allen was willing to all the way in with him. Allen beats Selby at his own game, didn’t know he had it in him. Can he do it across 4 sessions though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

just saw your post now g

honestly, not a clue 🤣

remember he used to be on Network/RTÉ2, along with the Scottish sounding chap - can't remember ever hearing or seeing him on TG4 sadly :(

maybe someone else on here'd know

he was definitely on a lot on the RTÉs during the 1990s - couldn't have missed him if you was watching "our own" stations back then 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Yes. Angus mcnally definitely did do commentary on what was the ‘Irish Masters’…..last tournament that Mr. A Higgins managed to win ( I think) in 1989/90……?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yeah growing up with RTE I remember Aonghus on Anything Goes on a Saturday morning but did catch some of his snooker commentaries over the years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Genghis

Angus McNally was commentating 2 weeks ago on Eurosports coverage of qualifying.

He is also an accomplished billiards player, a board member of world billiards, and wears Dennis Taylor glasses when at the table.

Bit of a Jack of all trades he tours Ireland in a tribute show to Christy Hennessy, is an amateur magician and until last year he was producer for Liveline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Now this is probably 'earn negotiating.

But around Sheffield they'll be concerned enough to fight to keep the show here. It adds a real buzz when the snooker is in the city.

Was he (Higgins) limping around the table in the final as he had jumped out a hotel / flat / apartment building window due to a row with his ‘bird’ and damaged/hurt his ankle ?

Did mr maximum/ Willy Thorne win an Irish masters also around the same time ie 89/90 again beating hendry in latter stages or final

Yes Alex was on crutches and hopped around the table around the time of the 89 British Open and Irish Masters.

Don't think Willie ever won the Irish Masters.

• Advertisement

He should have been a bit more ‘pacific’….if Allen wins this and follows with a world title they will surely put a ‘Muriel’ of him on a wall in Belfast….🤣🤣

Willy mainly concentrated on chalking up maximums but never did one in a live match/tournament only in his practice sessions……he also skilled at stealing ‘burds ’ off blokes with his silver tongue and trouser Q……..all joking aside did Willy ever win a big / major title…..he once blew an 8-0 lead v Steve Davis to lose 9-8 I think….

1985 Mercantile Credit Classic Willie won. One of ths top 5 or 6 tournaments at the time.

The most famous final Willie lost was the 1985 UK, when hs let Davis come back at him.

And he missed a famous blue off the spot to middle that was seen as the turning point. Think he led something like 13-8 in the first to 16.

At the time Willie was playing some great stuff at the peak of his career in 85/86, so he really should have put that final to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Si Angled Brecel when Brecel looked for a snooker. I suppose it could be considered a Chinese Snooker?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

He's some player

Has a fair chance of going on to win this outright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

“Go on ya boyo” from the crowd when Si hit the tonne 🤣

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Important Luca starts getting something there

Don't see Luca coming back

Final would be a lot tougher for SI

Plays his own game though SI , makes his chances so you never know

If Luca can finish 6-10 here he is in the same position that he was agsinst Ronnie.

If he gets in.

• Advertisement

wouldn't be getting too carried away with Si, when he [likely] gets to final. missed most of this morning's action, but, overall he doesn't seem to get too many framewinning breaks in one visit - except Brecel didn't seem able to punish him when he got his chances

different kettle when he's up against one of the two master tactitians what's in other semi. who's he beat so far: solid all-rounder, and hard to beat over a distance, Anthony McGill, but he just scraped over the line in the end. prior to that, he's beat the likeable, but not much more than a journeyman, Milkins. first off he Beat Murphy, and by the barest of margins as well. can only beat what's facing ya, but he's yet to play one of the "top boys" , as Higgins might call them

he's only third fav on the exchanges @ ~ 11/4 , and he with one foot in Final. Brecel is ~ 14/1, with market leaders, Selby @ ~ 15/8 , and Allen ~ 2/1

see no outrights on the S'Bk

Allen to Win !

I was thinking it would be nice if Murphy could make a public apology to Si - from the time he moaned about ‘amateur’ Si competing against him. Seems extremely silly now!

Selby didn't punish Mark Allen too much for missing that red to middle

good signs imo

hon the Irishman 🙂 !

If Allen plays Si in Final won’t know who to shout for. Allen has improved himself in all sorts of ways. Which is admirable.But if Si wins world title snooker could really make a bang in China - would be great for the game. Chinese making more cues than chopsticks.

my 28 to one each way a few months ago means #I know who I'll be shouting for in final !! 😁

#if the lineup is as speculated by your good self, that is 🙂 🙂

hon the Irishman ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Sigma101

In fairness, I think he did apologise very soon after. He recognised he was being a prat but felt he had a point to make about mixing amateurs and professionals in tournaments. I'm sure there were players who would have agreed with him, particularly those further down the ranks, but they wisely kept quiet. He was gracious in his defeat to Si this week. For all his faults I like Murphy, but I'm probably in a minority.

Selby can't pot a ball

Both tedious enough to watch

great to watch

Allen "out Jestering" (read "Out-Selbying" ) Selby

and Selby playing like a worried hit and hope merchant - missed a few by wide margins what he threw his cue at !

😁

• Registered Users Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Mark Allen shouldn't have missed that yellow and if could be costly as he's in a difficult snooker.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

This is awful to be honest.

I don’t mind tactical stuff, but the pace of play is terrible

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement