Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Last time I saw average shot time come up on screen it was Allen 30 sec, Selby 32 sec...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I've no memory of that game whatsoever.

I remember the Ding Selby semi that year which was a bit of a thriller, up there with the best games I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

You would think that players would have learned that from Jimmy White.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Seems to be a fair amount of empty seats this year.

Brecel with another smash it and hope for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

There is. And a good tactical frame is a thing of beauty. I love them.

However, Selby isn’t tactical. He’s negative. He slows the game down on purpose and destroys the entertainment value.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Didn’t see the other semi final today but they said on commentary that mark allen got the the point where selby needed a snooker and 30 minutes later the frame went to selby. That sounds woeful stuff to watch.

As expected Si has lost his mojo and 3 in a row for Brecel.

Love the twists and turns of the long games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭StevenToast

What a red to the middle from brecel!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

In a way your not really disagreeing, you acknowledge when he got the head down he was well capable of doing the business, different to what your earlier alluded, that he simply wasn't good enough and could only make 80 centuries.

Answer me this, how do you see any of the other pros today performing, plied with drink? Do you think they could do what he did? Every match, year in, year out?

Under the circumstances, it makes what he did achieve all the more remarkable

I'd love to see O'Sullivan do it, plied with whiskey and half cut. No chance.

Even White had to distance himself from Higgins before his game improved. Higgins was hindering himself to that level.

No one else could of won a World Championship under the circumstances.

As someone put it to me before, Higgins did everything wrong, from a technical standpoint, to how he conducted himself with drinking etc. He was so talented, his natural ability alone offset everything else to an extent, to the point he was still competitive and one of the best players.

I don't think even O'Sullivan could of did that. Only Higgins

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That opening planted red from Si was something special. On 27, thinking about a difficult blue now. It was too difficult, hope for Brecel yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Probably because it was so one sided. Wouldn’t have remembered Higgins/Hawkins 2017 myself only for I checked.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It's not set up as nicely as it possibly could be Steve Davis. Si will still be ahead by 4 should Brecel go on and win this frame.

And Davis was getting ahead of himself. End of break by Brecel. So close.

Wow. Never could have have seen Si miss that green.

Couldn't get any closer than that.

Especially with a lot of complaining about generous pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

God that green

AND SI MISSES THE GREEN!!!

14-10. Brecel got away with one there at the end.

5 in a row for Brecel, sets it up nicely for tomorrow.

The long matches are class.

• Advertisement

Hardly a thing to boast about. But again you are making excuses for Alex Higgins. About 1982 v Jimmy White. White described Higgins as ‘steaming’ meaning locked. Also in Jimmy White’s book White claimed he would have won 10 titles if he didn’t do Coke.

Personally I think it is all bollox neither White/Higgins looked after themselves and underachieved v the talent they had. And looking after yourself is part of sport. Otherwise there is underachievement and early burn out.

To basically say someone was a functional alcoholic who played snooker like Higgins is hardly something to praise him for. Bill Werbuinik had to drink 20 pints to stop his hands shaking. Not a great long term strategy.

Alex Higgins definitely most overrated and hyped up IMO. Selby a far superior player to Alex Higgins - will never get the hype Alex got.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Great entertainment after that rubbish today

Si would want to switch on could make it unnecessarily uneasy for himself.

White improved when he went on the Coke, woke him up, Alex didn't. Werbunick could hold a lot more, and always had a pint in hand, but was casually drinking.

Higgins was drinking beers and spirits, often to the point of not functioning. You can tell even by the mid 80s the effect it was having on his health.

I'm not making excuses for him, my original point was people are quick to call O'Sullivan the most talented ever. I think Higgins was more naturally talented, comfortably, and I don't think any player, including O'Sullivan, could of played to the level of Higgins under the same circumstances. There's always been something more mercurial and special in Higgins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Brecel can reel them off when he gets going

Should be interesting finales

Lads in studio not too impressed with Selby Allen overall

What do people think of Selby, in how you would rank him alongside someone like John Higgins, at his best

Always felt both were similar, granite as the BBC love saying, consistent, great potters, tactically brilliant, but above all, match players. On their day, always find a way.

Not based on the last game, but do people think Selby has even surpassed Higgins as a match player?

they/them/theirs

Higgins is a better player than Selby. Better potter and more attacking. Selby edges it on tactical play.

they/them/theirs

Would of liked to see them go at it more, when both at their best. Think Selby at his best is near unbeatable, but Higgins may have had the game to beat him.

Likewise, Steve Davis was of similar mould. Be interesting to see how he'd match up in his prime too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Advertisement