Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CH Bull for Beef Cows

Options
  • 13-04-2023 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of expertise on this. Looking to buy a Pedigree Charolais Bull - have one eyed up at a Pedigree Sale, he's 6.1 Calving Difficulty for Beef Cows. Id only be using him on beef cows - and id have a mix of mature cows and 3rd and 2nd calvers. Wont be used on heifers. Is it likely this Calving Difficulty rating will cause issues? My old bull was off Pirate and was very easy calving (5%). I work off farm and ease of calving would be very important.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Make sure he is genotyped. That increases the reliability of the calving figure. The catalogue should tell you that. There should be a symbol with "Genomic Evaluation" written under it.

From ICBF Beef Cow Calving Difficulty for Char Bulls

Average - 5.65%

40 percentile - 6.09%

60 percentile - 5.24%

So 6.1% would be only slightly above average for the char breed.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Advertisement