Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Irish Gigs (Confirmed & Rumoured Events)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,371 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Finally an international worldwide act but he has been quite besides The Masked Singer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Insanity - there’s not one artist out there today that I’d pay that much money to see- not one- TG I’ve seen most bands I’ve ever wanted to see in concert over the last 30+ years -if someone wants to pay that fine but it’s not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

The music with the announcement is Phoenix, they're touring in the summer and haven't played here in years. Could just be a coincidence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭T.V Eye

Fact is, you'll always fill that place, even at those stupid prices. And we all have a band or two we'd pay it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

This is on a whole other level though. Inflation for food, alcohol, transport, sport, clothing, etc is nowhere near that level. €345 for a good seat is roughly quadrupling what you’d have paid in 2019. It’s an absurd price. It’s more than €100 above what people pay for an Electric Picnic early bird ticket. That’s three entire days of entertainment that includes several acts who could fill the 3Arena.

For another comparison my partner is from Slovakia so I often attend the Pohoda festival there. Ticket is €119, return flight €95, return bus and train to the site €12, Pink Moon equivalent tent set up with mattress €60, food and beer for three days €90. That’s €374 in total for a decent fest that always has a smattering of decent young indie acts and a few major ones. Even with much greater wealth I’d feel guilty for paying €690 for two SN tickets while we have people struggling to pay heating bills and many hundreds living on the street. That’s a whole other debate and as others have pointed out whilst we pay these over-inflated prices will continue. Another option is to persuade your TDs (pre-election they’re paying great attention) to refer Live Nation Entertainment (who own Ticketmaster) to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission. Legalised touting and dynamic pricing can be overturned when there’s nobody else effectively competing in the marketplace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Another option is to persuade your TDs (pre-election they’re paying great attention) to refer Live Nation Entertainment (who own Ticketmaster) to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission. Legalised touting and dynamic pricing can be overturned when there’s nobody else effectively competing in the marketplace.

TD's were warned by the Department of Trade and Enterprise of what would happen if they introduced the legislation on ticket resale.

Their own department advised against the introduction of the legislation as it would lead to a monopoly by Ticketmaster and much higher fraud on the black market.

They forced the legislation through anyway.

Labour in the Uk are proposing similar legislation despite the Waterson report saying a ban is unwise due to similar concerns.

Prices are going to keep increasing in Ireland, there will be more platinum and more dynamic pricing employed, Live Nation have stated this in their quarterly reports, its there for anyone to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,338 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wonder could Bon Jovi do an Autumn/Winter indoor tour with maybe 2/3 dates in the 3Arena

Be different I suppose but could very well be not far behind 'Stevie Nicks prices'

Hunch tells me it will be an outdoor tour for the summer of 2025. RDS be closed so maybe Aviva or Marlay Park. Croke Park prob too big for them atm unless Richie rejoins

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Unlikely I'd say, Jon is probably only able to do a light schedule now due to his voice issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I haven't seen them since the Academy in 2006. My main memory of that is that it was very, very loud.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Make up for the cancelled Olympia gig if it is them. Would be bit silly to play some song of a different band mind. Would hopefully get to it anyway

Yeah was thinking it would be a bit odd if it wasnt them. Then again any fan would recognise the song so why not just announce them now. Guess we will wait and see but was hoping they'd play here this year, seems like they're be a good live band

Loud in a good way? Or just too loud in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Would assume be a string of dates to be announced, they've some decent gaps in the schedule. A sunny evening with them playing be very good, fingers crossed works out better than their last trip here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

All very silly

Excessively loud, to the point of being detrimental to the music. Great tunes, though. It was the tour for It's Never Been Like That.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

Would that current effective monopoly not then attract the attention of the Competition Commission? Or has it already and they’re building a case?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Fanirish

They have already investigated them, built a case and issued a few minor recommendations.

These changes include the removal of exclusivity clauses from agreements with venues and limiting all of Ticketmaster’s agreements with live event organisers and venues in Ireland to a maximum duration of five years. 

Pretty light, even though that order was over three years ago in Dec 2020, seven months before the anti-touting legislation came into effect so great changes since. Particularly with dynamic pricing but I suspect the EU will intervene before we do so unilaterally.

Do you think more charges are likely given how things have progressed since then? Any rumblings? Not a monopoly but it’d be hard to make the case for fair competition.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

There was no great changes to ticketmaster with the anti touting legislation as the law only addressed/made it illegal for third parties to tout beyond original price charged thru ticketmaster. Legislation didn’t impose any requirements on ticketmaster itself.

neither the EU or Irish government will do anything against dynamic pricing. Dynamic pricing is in use in a number of major industries which are greater contributors than events, hotels and airlines for example. No legislation is going to be imposed against the prices imposed by dynamic algorithms.

As for venues/promoters charging different flat prices for different seats in a venue that has been historical practice for decades/century. Seats with better views/closer to the stage being 3x the seat at the back is not a new concept whilst the term official platinum is.

As for fair competition, any competitor company would have to offer the same functionality to the promoter/artist so I don’t see much changing.

superstar artists who are charging millions for a 3 arena, marlay or croke park show are the root cause. You can’t divide a million euro fee into 3 arena capacity and come out without tickets being €180 ish.

ultimately if a show like Stevie nicks bombs for the promoter, mcd/live nation can take the hit and if Stevie returns to europe in a few years mcd will just probably not bother if her fee is in same bracket. realistically a whole European tour would have to die for a superstar artist to reevaluate their fee. That is very unlikely especially when playing bigger countries than ireland and bigger venues where ticket price can be lowered a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,585 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

People need to start voting with their feet, and stop paying daft money for concerts.

I love Stevie Nicks but wouldn't have bought a ticket at €138, let alone €345.

If the arena was half full for this, it would tell the promoters that they are taking the p, and it's not going to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,338 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Casual concert goers won't notice the price and it's going to sell out

And Stevie has her guarantee fee of a million. So she doesn’t care if one venue on a tour is half full. She is not going to reduce her fee across the board cause of one Dublin show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Joe Big Event Whore Spudmuncher doesnt care and doesnt go to many gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

A Winged Victory For The Sullen, National Concert Hall, Saturday 27th April: https://www.nch.ie/all-events-listing/nmd24-ambient-symphony/

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

This is generally a fantastic thread. To keep it so, I wonder should there be a separate thread for complaints or observations about over pricing etc, and keep them out of here.

Thanks. An excellent explanation. I’m also wholly in agreement that the responsibility lies with the artists however much they try to deflect it elsewhere. Whilst not condoning the increased greed of Ticketmaster in terms of greatly increased charges, and promoters in terms of collaborating with the greed of those performers I also appreciate the risk that the promoters take and a series of events going wrong can hurt them. Hopefully though that will happen with vastly over-priced events in the near future.

We need more artists like Paul Heaton. His last UK arena tour with Jacqui Abbot/Rumer was £30 for any ticket at any venue irrespective of the view (€39 for the Irish leg). He’s a guy who realises that integrity matters and also that you can’t take the cash with you.

Personally I think this is the EXACT thread for any discussion on price-gouging and extortionate behaviour by artists, promoters and ticket sellers. Much of the chatter is pointing out the alternatives, particularly with small venues and how we can contribute via merch stands, etc.

Also, a rare case where patrons were offered a refund, due to Jacqui not appearing, which I'm sure came from him, not wanting people to feel gypped. Normally, they'd refer to the small print about an act "in whole or in part." And I liked the novelty of getting Rumer, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Well my 7 thanks to your 2 thanks says you're wrong 🤣

(that's definitely joke, by the way!)

Advertisement