Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varadkar's watch

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Every community is allowed something it looks down on, in boating it is jetskis.

I don’t look up or down at people because of what watch they wear or what car they drive. But if they shove it in your face, it’s hard not to categorise them. There is a difference between a watch hobby and watch wearing. The former is fine if it floats your boat and you can afford it (preferably after you have acquired other key assets). Watch wearing is all about image and association. Wearers of rugged diver-type watches want to impart an image, as do people wearing the county GAA jersey.  Real money does not shout, it whispers. Real money wears understated, classic watches; new money wears ostentation (i.e. bling brands that are recognisable by the masses) and shoves them in your face. ‘Smart’ watches are worn to sell a different image – “Look at me, I’m important, I need to be immediately contactable, read my messages, I’m modern, connected, I also care about my shape/fitness, so I’m a fit healthy individual who matters.”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I got my wife a smart watch a few years back, I picked up a packet of straps with it, can't remember now but I think it was 10 straps for €20 on Amazon kind of thing, she changes the strap depending on her outfit, when I asked her about it recentely she said that the watch was charging anyway so it's not a big thing. The other day she couldn't find her phone, I said just use her watch, it was only then that I realised that her watch hadn't been paired to phone for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

I have a Garmin smart watch and just dumped it in the drawer as I got sick of charging it every day. Also it was a chore to pair it to the phone.

My regular watches aren't exactly bling but they're solid and have an aesthetic. Only change battery every year.

Each to their own as regards aesthetic but Leo's apple is more of a humble brag. Although if Leo had done it properly he would have copied Louis Theroux and his humble brag on his Casio f91w.

I think Leo is supporting the 'fitness' aspect as he's probably still 'on the scene'.

Post edited by Treppen on

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Edit - totally missed your point, deleted 😀

Advertisement