Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy-Train replacement

• 13-04-2023 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

Looking to see if there is any legal advice here, we are getting different information daily.

We are in the start of negotiations for redundancy. The jobs will be moved to offshore location.

Initially we were told by management we need to train our replacements, then were told HR advised we cannot do that, now are told by management we must do the training.

I tried to search online but can't see any advise. Its just confusing the different messages we have been receiving.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,877 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If you are training a replacement? Your role isn't being made redundant.

Redundancy applies to roles and responsibilities not to the person who performs them. Your employer is playing fast and loose with the rules here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 birch2023

The role is redundant in Ireland so we will be terminated and receive severance packages. But it is moved to another country within our company and we are having to train these staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

As said above, if someone is being trained to take up your role then you are being replaced and not being made redundant. Redundancy is when a role no longer exists. As you are asking this question on here then I am assuming that you are not a member of a union in which case you should contact either Citizens Advice - https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/ or the WRC - https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/ and ask their advice. Definitely sounds like your employer is pulling a fast one. Good luck.

Edited to add - just saw post no 3 which I hadn't seen prior to posting - not sure of the rules when post is being relocated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

I doubt there is anything in legislation about training replacement in this situation. Whether you have to train them or not would come down to the terms of your contract. There also obviously potential implications on redundancy page. Any idea when you'll be notified of their offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sigma101

First, no advice you get here is legal advice.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the employer is breaking any rules, unfortunately, as the employee replacing you is not in this jurisdiction. You may need to carry out your employer's instructions to avoid dismissal. You want to receive your redundancy payment, get a reference and move on. If it were me I wouldn't be too concerned about the quality of training I would give, and would provide it only to the minimum level acceptable.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much. It was just confusing how HR said we could not do that but now we are told differently. I couldn't find anything under redundancy law sites so just wanted to check here if anyone had experience. This was helpful

Thanks, this was helpful. The offer is about 5 or 6 weeks away as the employee consultation forum period has only recently begun, and training needs to be prepared and delivered before then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,034 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's totally normal to train colleagues in other countries to take over your role.

Focus on maintaining good relationships so that you have people you can ask for references in future - and of course on positioning yourself to get a bew job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Thats it in a nutshell.

Its a difficult time but take your payoff, get your reference (whatever they are worth now) and move on

Advertisement