Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Regime - HBO

Options
  • 13-04-2023 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭

Terrific cast and a big director...looks interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Kate Winslet looking like she's bringing a top performance there!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It is good to see Martha Plimpton in more dramatic roles

It starts on the 3rd of March 2024 at 9pm on Sky Atlantic

The Regime is released 3 March on HBO and Max in the US and 8 April on Sky Atlantic and NOW in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭steve_r

Watched the first episode and was underwhelmed. Winslet is amazing, but the rest of the cast aren't given a lot to do. Using the soldier as a lynchpin character struck me as an odd choice, given that the main thing/only thing we know about him is that he has committed an act of brutal violence.

This is written by the guy who wrote The Menu, which had a similar aspect where we had strong violence mixed with humour, and I'm not sure the combination works as well here as the writer thinks it does. Contrast the approach to something like the Fargo tv series which is able to make that balance in a much more natural way.

Given the strength of the cast, I'll stick with it, and I am curious to see where they take the premise.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yeah I was very disappointed with the first episode I must say.

Kate Winslet is of course excellent but doesn’t seem to have the script or cast around her to make it a stand out series so far.

I’ll give episode two a try and if I’m not feeling it after that I’m out.

I just watched episode 1, if it's a satire what is it trying to satirise, I was a bit confused

I was expecting something in the vein of The Thick of It

I will see how 2 and 3 go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

I've stuck with it, up to episode 6 now. The only good thing about it is Winslet, it's a bit of a mess other than that. If she wasn't in it, I'd be out.

Watched the last episode. Apart from Winslet it's not great.

Post edited by Ashbourne hoop on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just started watching this recently. On episode two. It's very weird. It's like some Russian Latvian hybrid state in some alternate Universe but it one where the west and the US still exist but this weird country also exists lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,211 ✭✭✭archfi

I love Kate Winslet but do not like her in this! The Catherine Martin mouth effort doesn't work.

I don't like the series at all, but will manage to finish it to see how it ends. I'm sure it's meant to be very deep art.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

I'm not sure what it's meant to be to be honest. Yeah her mouth effort is unusual but I think she's the only thing worthwhile about the whole mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Her mouth reminds me of Diane Morgan in Mandy....

Watched episode 1, it is errr odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭markw7

Just finished episode 3 and I don't get the hate for this show.

While not as good as his work admittedly, it's like something Ianucci would produce but with an added bit of weirdness for good measure. 7/10

Advertisement