Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfurnished rental

Options
  • 13-04-2023 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

I am preparing a rental for new tenants and will be offering it unfurnished. However I've had some interesting discussions on what that actually means. My view is that its a complete kitchen with all white goods and that's it. No other kitchen utensils/pots/pans etc. What about curtains - should they be included or not.

Interested in other peoples experiences. Will never to back to a furnished rental, just not worth the hassle from a landlord perspective.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,098 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

There's a list of required items in a rental property. Google it, you'll probably find it on the rtb site or citizens information.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

yes, I have all that as outlined here on PRTB : Minimum Standards Regulations and Fire Safety | Residential Tenancies Board (rtb.ie)

My question is more about what is the market place standard regarding unfurnished, not really a PRTB query I think.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,914 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

To be honest, I’d at least stick some sort of blinds on the windows, otherwise you might have people trying to install them themselves and making a hames of the walls. I rented unfurnished before and the kitchen had white goods but that was it. There was also a sofa provided, but the landlord asked us before we moved whether we wanted it there or if not he’d remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I’d stick to the bare minimum as per the rtb list but I’d also include fixtures like curtain poles, toilet roll holders, towel rails and bathroom mirrors as you’d be in control of where holes are drilled in walls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I stopped renting out furnished properties in 2016. When I rented out furnished, I had tenants complain about a couch needing replacing, I checked, it was fine, better than my own, I refused to replace it, a month later I got a call that it was broken, and it was, they had broken it to force me to buy a new one, from then on I decided I'd rent unfurnished.

It is less of an outlay for me. Tenants that have their own furniture are generally going to stay longer, they are more reliable, less likely to look after my place.

If tenants do want or need furniture, I can generally find some on marketplace for them cheaply and tell them to pay for it and I will pick it up etc.

No more calls to replace mattresses, broken vacuums, broken microwaves etc.

I just provide white goods and don't even bother with an inventory list anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,526 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The required white goods list is a bit ridiculous really - its there to ensure that fully furnished places either have somewhere to dry clothes or a dryer, and some form of kitchen space; but ends up forcing unfurnished places to have a random selection of basic white goods.

If I was renting unfurnished, I would not want the landlords choice of microwave, fridge, and washing machine for instance; I've a preferred brand and buy dearer stuff that's survived house moves before.

Really needs to be a standard for unfurnished rentals and a standard for furnished at this stage; with something to stop a slumlord claiming everything is rented unfurnished when they actually supply junk you can't replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Quentin_T

It's great that you're considering your tenants' needs while preparing your rental property. An unfurnished rental typically means that tenants need to bring their own furniture and personal items. However, providing a complete kitchen with white goods is often expected and appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is the regulation they must be provided. It doesn't matter what quality you by as a landlord as tenants mistreat them. Bought 3 washing machines with one for a rental. Still have both washing machines working fine after 10 years in the rental it lasted 2 years next 3 years, 2 years and then 2 years. All good brands and warranties denied due to obvious abuse. Different tenants.

Then there is the damage of moving big items in and out. It is just human nature to not care in many cases. There is also the legal issue where a tenant will claim you refused to provide stuff after they ask you to take them out because they have their own stuff. Happened to me. Then it is when they are leaving they leave stuff behind to be disposed of.

Unfurnished is a nightmare as they rarely have stuff that fits the space. Had a tenant that blocked the door opening properly because they had too big a sofa. Meanwhile the actual sofa for the place was put in the hall blocking the main door opening properly too. Fire regulations being broken and they seemed puzzled why I thought it was an issue.

Advertisement