Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet area in field

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Think you're spot on here, the line from the well to the stream was probably the original drain and could well be the source for the stream itself. Op should be able to see water draining into the stream at this point. Interestingly it also looks like the stream was deliberately directed northwards to the oval area which could have been a pond or even bathing area, while also directed west towards the road and onwards.

Op are there any references to a spa or well in the local placenames? Fascinating stuff all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭spalpeen

spalpeen bottled water definitely has a good ring to it haha

aside from general interest (and it is of interest) is there any "advantage" to having an old well on your property, in an age of modern water sources?

The stream lies as a boundary between two fields by different owners and so is behind a fence on both sides. I am not sure if this is the reason it was never left for stock or if it is more of a water quality issue.

interesting, next time i am down i will need to look into the stream again and see if threre is a sign where the water is coming from and where it's going. As far as I can see, the placenames share no obvious connection to water or wells or springs but its hard to say as some of them don't have a known meaning in irish – nothing obvious anyway, no tobars or uisces

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The advantage of spring water is that it can be much nicer to drink than tap water. Our tap water is crap so I'd welcome a spring. Anyone on mains water faces drinking all the crappy sediment that builds up in the pipes from dead organisms killed by chlorine and thats not some old wives tale. Thats not to say that every spring is perfect some are probably not very good for you but worth investigating.

I'd be surprised if its been fenced off that there is not more to it than a muddy area of field if you start to clean it out. It may be fenced off because there was some depth to the spring and they don't want stock stuck in there.

Wake me up when it's all over.

I used to live next to an old house in the UK called Spring field. Guess what the area was full of springs and the cellar of our house (also old) used to flood.

• Advertisement

didnt get its name for nothing. looking forward to having a dig around that area

Please let us know how you get on and don't forget a pictures says a thousand words ;-)

If you are not sure if its actually running water then if you make a hole in different spots with a long fencing bar (don't smash it in and damage anything below) you should see clear running water rise to the surface from the hole - I'm assuming its just a muddy mess.

Advertisement