Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Add Panels on Steel Tech Shed

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭delmonte4

Thanks. I’ll have a look into them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭allinthehead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭DC999

Panels are the same size. About 1m wide, 1.7m high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The resurrection of this thread has reminded me of my own post from last year and my earth query. That bit at least is all sorted😉

I have a south facing shed with space for 7 panels and I'm curious as to what my best option is very taking advantage of that?

7 X 420w panels up there would give me a near 3kw array. My shed has a consumer unit tied back into the main house.

Ideally I'd love to go with a full grid tied install but, other things are taking priority for the next while. In the interim I have about €800 that I can throw at an experiment. Offsetting the power used in the shed would be my ideal outcome. Only high drain item down there is a 2kw oil heater, that's in addition to a Washing machine, dryer, freezer, fridge, TV, router and some lights.

I think I'm too big for a micro-inverter or plug in type unit. They're all in the 1 or 2 panel range.

I plan on the shed becoming a 2nd string when I manage to go with full installation at the house, but?

In the interim, any suggestions on what I can do with that roof, and without grid tying?

Would be much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭delmonte4

What did you do over the 2nd earth rod for the shed? Wondering about that myself for my own project.

You know hoymiles do 4T microinverters that link together with a 2nd or subsequent Microinverter that would cover your 7 panels. Though it might push the costs out a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It's tied back to the house via 10mm² earth and I'm waiting on a sparks mate to call over and run an and a megger over the board and check the earth. If it's needed I'll add a new earth rod and have him tie it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭DC999

Price wise: BPE quad microinverter (4 panels) is €300 inc vat from Kellighers. Jinko 430w panels are €80 ex vat. Need rails too. And ~€80 for sundry cables. That would give you 1.7kWp which is a decent start. Then you don't need to offset the power in the shed, that will feed the house. That’s not 7 panels but you don’t have a budget for that with €800.

I got rails and old panels on Adverts, so can get stuff cheaper if you’re not in a rush and don’t mind taking a bit more time to collect the stuff

Advertisement