Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook Market Place

Options
  • 14-04-2023 10:18am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Been on the look out for a bike for a goodwhiel.

Found one on a Facebook Market Place. Ticks all the boxes.

It based in Belfast which for me would be a 3.5 hour drive each way. Ideally I'd go see it in person but just not practical.

I have a lot of photos of it. A video so can see in detail the condition of the bike.

I;ve been on this market place for a long time and so has seller. He sells a lot of stuff.

Courrier would be €60

Its a risk buying it never having seen it in person off some one I never meet with little comeback. If I saw it in person, I'd have bought it. Any advice as I am very conflicted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Bought from a bike from a Belfast lad on FB marketplace recently and he was more than willing to meet me in Newry. Might still be too far for you to travel, but every bit helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Done this a fair bit over the years, both buying and selling.

By the sounds of it you’re satisfied the seller is legit, is willing to box the bike securely and hand it over to the courier and that the bike is in good condition. That’s the first few boxes ticked.

Sounds also like you’ve found a courier willing to insure and carry it.

The crunch point will be sending payment.

I think it comes down to how cautious/risk averse you are.

If losing the money would be devastating, I’d advise going to view it. If you can put the risk to the back of your mind and it’s not a huge amount of money, in your context, then saving the 8 hour round trip might be worth it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Facebook marketplace, where stolen bikes go to be sold. Not saying in this specific case but it's comical if you ever look at it.

Personally, if it's pricey, just go up and see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Train up, cycle home. Any excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

FB marketplace is one of the places I'd be reluctant to send money to someone. Check on any of the cycling sale pages there are scams posted and posts from lads being scammed every week particularly in the UK. The seller always seems legit. Obviously a big red flag is he insists money through is sent through paypal friends and family, Most lads will say you can send it either way once I'm not caught for additional costs.

Ireland is a small country and if it's a decent amount of money I'd always drive up to view and collect. Suggest meeting half way or if you want to try and scatter the pigeons tell the seller you'll drive up and meet him at his home address and see how he reacts. 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Made and offer and I'll go up and collect if its accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

No more teasing....what is it??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Vitus Vitesse Evo Carbon

Advertisement