Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing My Bike

Options
  • 14-04-2023 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Anyone have previous experience or suggestions on sending a bike by courier to holiday destination ahead of arrival for cycling trip. Avoiding bringing on plane this year.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Where are you heading to?

There's a couple of bike specific couriers:

www.https://www.shiptocycle.com

www.sendbike.com

I'm not sure I'd depend on a standard courier service. Who'd receive the bike at the destination if you got delayed. What if collection at the destination was delayed? Personally I'd prefer book it on the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JMU55

Thanks Trekker

Heading to the Pyrenees this year. Would normally book it on the flight but with all the stories of baggage going missing. Our destination host is happy to take bike box in advance and we plan to send over with week to spare and it seems cheaper. Since posting I found a company in NI sendmybag.com who seem to be good. Thanks for your suggestions though much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Think i'd feel better if i had my bike with me. Don't like the idea of sending it ahead as "Cargo". Have you considered attaching an Apple Aertag? I have one and its reassuring as you will know that the bike has been loaded onto the plane and you can trace it at the Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Seems like a great idea in principle, though by the time you add on insurance and possibly pay a hotel for a weeks storage of your bike(s) it may be cheaper to bring it with you on your flight.. Besides i'd personally prefer to see my bike being loaded onto the aircraft myself and have it at the other side, I've been to a couple of hotels abroad where I decided to store the bike in my rental car rather than in an area/room that isn't secured...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If you destination host is a hotel, more than likely your bike box will be left lying in the hotel's underground garage which won't be particularly secure and your host may not appreciate the value of it. personally, I'd much prefer to have it with me.

You say you want to avoid bringing it on a plane but presumable the courier will be putting it on a plane regardless?

• Advertisement
Advertisement