Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the British media unhappy with Biden's Irish visit?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because the bulk of the British media is so far down its own little, British exceptionalism, right wing rabbithole that they will take offence at anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,633 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think it’s because they realise the limb they have put themselves out on.

Sunak had to have been the most awkward PM in a meeting ever.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The British media have history with this. Look at the way Punch covered Irish issues in Victorian times. It was extremely offensive and racist depicting Irish subjects as brutish ugly ignorant oafs, carrying a stick or club - and deliberately offensive.

It has never changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I think too Sunak was expecting a full on meeting with Biden but all he got was a coffee and a quick chat where as we got the whole deal with the Oireachtas speach and the state dinner. There's a bit of jealousy going on I think like schoolyard stuff. "Why are you friends with them I thought I was your friend why didn't you come to my house" type stuff.

Kelvin completely losing the run of himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

I reckon it was and still is policy not to portray Ireland in a positive light as it might count as promoting nationalism. Like I think it was when Pope Francis came afew years ago there was a clip on BBC news headlines that went "The pope begins a 3day visit to (pause) ENGLAND!!" despite Ireland showing on the screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

There fishing for clicks & likes & viewer’s. Nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Have to say the brexity types outrage over Biden has felt like a lovely warm bath the last few days. They are just waking up to the realisation that theyve thrown away the "special relationship" and cannot grapple how we have obtained and are able to wield so much soft power without their involvement or permission. The lack of ability to have any internal retrospection over why all this is happening and they are being ignored is like the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

And I thought it was us that did the begrudgery!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Well there may be a reason that is the case. As in it goes down well in certain circles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Sky seem to being giving very comprehensive coverage without any negativity.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well the king has invited Biden to the UK, so there can be the address to parliament, state dinner etc then.

But the reason for the current animosity is Brexit.

Just like the Brexit media were surprised and frustrated about how much attention the EU were paying to little Ireland in the negotiations, they are seeing the same from the US.

Even before Biden became president the bi-patrisian House Ways and Means committee told the UK that there would be no trade deal without guarantees about NI.

Then Biden comes along, probably the most Irish president of all time, even more than the Kennedys, because he is so familiar with his Irish background.

And no one from Brexit Britain saw that coming, and they are angry because they are being sidelined instead of being center stage.

But that's what Brexit did, it was the start of the slow sidelining of Britain in the western world.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

The reaction of the right wing British press is quite funny overall; such jealousy and envy while they try and insult Biden and the Irish to boot. But on a more serious note, we need the ‘special relationship’ to be strong and intact against a growing alliance against China, Russia, the Saudis and God knows who else. The West needs to be unified in its approach and the Sunak meeting in the north didn’t inspire that confidence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Sunak thing was bizarre.

They could not have a proper meeting of the NI parties without including MLMcD, but she is from Ireland, and so it would be bad not to include Leo, and if the NI SoS was included then that would require Meehole, and that would drive Jeffrey nuts.

So a cup of cold coffee for Sunak and no croissant at the small café table while he waited and waited while Joe worked the room. Then they both sat with nothing to say to each other.

What a humiliation for someone who thought they had a 'special relationship'.

The next day, the rain stopped and the sun bathed the whole Aras in glorious technicolour. Could not be a greater contrast.

This one is just fabulous really. The juvenile 'he's my friend, not your's!' foot stomping. 😁

Written by the director of the Margaret Thatcher Centre for Freedom at the Heritage Foundation.

Hmmm - there is a message there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

He kind of sums it up when he talks about the EU and Brexit.

The harsh reality for the Brits is that places like the US will look more towards the EU and less towards the UK when dealing with issues and policies related to the continent of Europe, relationships with Russia, relationships Turkey etc

And they find that hard to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

What really galls the British now is the fact the "Great" is long gone in the term "Great Britain", both in name and influence. While British power has been on the wane for several years now, Brexit was the final nail in the coffin. How dare the President of the USA treat Britain as a mere side show, and Ireland as the main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Don't know what their beef is, it was never envisaged as a trip to Britain. It was Biden's trip to Ireland.

Was surprised though to see how Gerry Adams managed to shoehorn himself into proceedings a fair bit. We haven't really heard much from Jarry in recent years but clearly still a man of influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Outside of a war, Brexit has been the biggest self inflicted wound a country has ever done to itself.....

It will take a long time (if ever) that they will be able to acknowledge that.....

Pathetic stuff out of the usual suspects this week....

I actually warmed to Biden more as a result of it.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭cobham

Biden is not attending the coronation of KC3 but his wife will be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Pity about the poor right wing British press, Tories and commentators who are upset at Bidens visit. Pity about them all. For most of them, this is their default view. Hatred and jealousy for Southern Ireland was always there, just magnified by Brexit.

About Bidens Black and Tans gaffe, if anybody should be offended about this, it's New Zealand. The Black and Tans was a British construct. They need to own it.

Since Brexit, this section of Britain's ruling class has become over sensitive, childish, thin skinned and petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The British right wing are in a perma-sulk ever since Brexit.

Best ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

Think RTE give a fair reflection here.

Don't be fooled by the media. Most people in GB tend to be very positive and complimentary about Ireland.

As Biden quoted the old joke - 'The world can be divided into two groups - Those who are Irish, and those who wish they were!'

Now that would get up the noses of those who disparaged his trip to Ireland.

They know nothing about us and for one moment we had the spotlight and they could not wrap their heads around it , all they’re good for now is cheap labour and property

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I have a subscription to the UK Times and some of the articles and cartoons were bordering on punch type coverage. The utter distain some of the writers had for Biden and Ireland was unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Annascaul

I think the British media is just expressing what the British people want to hear.

The problem is again Brexit, and the Brits wanting a trade deal, or awesome deal between the UK and the US.

However:

Biden favors Ireland and likes his Irish roots

Biden wants peace and the Good Friday agreement and all agreements for peace in NI honored

Biden is catholic and the Biden administration is also certainly not in favor of Brexit and the idea of a hard border on the island of Ireland.

The Brits hate the idea that Biden likes the small Ireland more than their bigger and apparently more glorious country.

The Brits dislike the idea that the US rather invests in Ireland than in Brexit UK.

For the Brits Brexit is the elephant in the room they never want to mention, but keeps holding them back in their own future.

Ireland doesn't have that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

It seems to me that all of the unhappiness is from Tory supporting publications. The truth hurts perhaps??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

Advertisement