Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hose end connector

Options
  • 14-04-2023 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

I have a Hozelock hosereel that I connect to the tap with 1m of hose. I never paid much attention to the connectors, just bought, stuck them on and worked away.

I was looking at some videos on YouTube and the "gurus" say it's best not to use directional connectors when using a power washer. Don't know if there is any truth to this.

So I looked at mine and I have an Hozelock AquaStop at the tap end and a "normal" connector at the hose end. Both are arrowed for the direction of flow. So the hose end is arrowed against the flow. The product description says best used at tap end.

Anyone know if there is such a thing as a non-directional connector? I can't see one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Some of the connectors have a stop valve in them so if there isn't anything connected the valve closes. I had a load of brass ones with valves in them, they were a reduced to nothing bargain in Lidl but I didn't want the stop valves so just drilled them out.

A non-directional connector will have no valve in it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Yeah, I have both, valve type at tap end, non-valve type at hose end which is arrowed opposite to the direction of flow. Valve or non-valve, the manufacturer says they are best used at tap end. Was wondering if there is a connector that is best used at the hose end specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The one with the valve normally goes at the end of the hose where you are using it or on the end of lengths of hose to save you going back to the tap when you are swapping things over. No good for me our pressure is far to high and if I left one closed the hose would split thats if the connector didn't blow off first.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's pointless using an aquastop at the tap end, they stop the flow when disconnected at the hose end, there won't be any flow from the hose if disconnected from the tap, surely this is obvious?

I would have thought that the arrows indicate the direction you pull the outer casing in order to disconnect the connector and have nothing to do with water flow. I have no idea how either connector would affect a power washer anyway, can you provide a link to these 'gurus'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

It was a car detailer showing how he snow foams a car who spoke about the connector. Can't find the video now.

You are correct, I didn't read the product info correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I've used all kinds of connectors over the years, depending on what I had in the shed. It has ever made any difference to the performance of the pressure washer.

Advertisement