Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable 100HP Loader Tractors

Options
  • 14-04-2023 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm on the lookout for a suitable loader tractor with 4WD in the €20K - €30K price range. I'm not fussy on makes as I just want a reliable tractor that will do the basics. I'm within an hour of all the popular tractor brand dealerships in Ireland. The tractor will be used for general farm work such as feeding silage, drawing bales, cleaning out bedded sheds, spreading fertiliser, yard work etc. Around 350-400 hours a year. I know prices have gone through the roof of late but I am open to all suggestions that might fall into my price range.

Appreciate any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

I’d be inclined to look for a bigger maybe 6 cylinder tractor instead of overpriced smaller 100hp 4 cylinder tractors. Maybe something like a massey 6465 or a New Holland tm130 probably be higher hours for your price range though… Hard to beat having to extra power and ability to use a double bale lifter and be on top of heavy work.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭anthony500_1

So I'm in the same boat as you, have been looking into changing for forever. But funds always seem to get redirected to other stuff. I've narrowed down my search to the likes of a newholand tl100, there are a very basic tractor, very little electrics but do come(not all) with an electronic shuttle for loader work but little else to go wrong and seem to tic most of my boxes, Massy have the 4355 or heavier 6255(with more electric gubbins in these) they seem a good heavy tractor for 100hp. Both have electronic shuttle(some not all) they also come with a snoopy bonnet which im told is a super job for loader work as gives you greater visibility. I'd be leaning towards the tl100 as they seem a better basic tractor from my enquiries. You could struggle to get a low hours tractor(5000h) and a loader of either of these two brands for circa 30k but I'm sure they are out there if you look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,086 ✭✭✭emaherx

I'd tend to disagree, 100hp is on the big side if anything for work described above. How much cheaper is a bigger worn out 6 cylinder when it comes to fuel bills and tyre replacements?

I bought a 05 McCormick CX95 4WD with power shuttle last year with loader for 23K. It's only 90HP though but should comfortably do all the work described in the first post. It was a bit more than I'd liked to have spent but I required a low profile cab which reduced my options considerably.

Good point, probably would do the work alright but 350-450 is a right bit, I’d be looking for a bit of comfort and option more capabilities going forward, depends on the man himself. Maybe a little loader like a jcb 2cx for the yard work. Great to have 2 yolks when there’s field and yard work going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

TL100 or Case JX1100U

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I went for the digger option as well, under 10k, only issue with a digger is oil leaks, so running costs are higher than a 20 k tractor with loader. But on the + side you have a machine that is designed for a loader and back actor.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭TheClubMan

I actually went to view a 4355 last week and it didn't seem like a bad tractor to drive. There was water leaking in through the roof though and then smoke started coming from burning wires under the dash so that was enough for me. €35K for a paint job... I used to work for a local dairy farmer years ago who had a JD 6210. It did all the feeding, scraping, agitating and pulled a 1600 gallon tanker. It was quite a capable tractor for it's size. Think it only had a 30K box though. There doesn't seem to be many good 10 series tractors out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Packrat

I'm in the same boat, I was planning on fixing what I have - DB/CASE 1490 but there's 5k to go into her in cab and tinwork and I'd still need 4 tyres, front rims and a loader so that's another 4. At the end of it all I'd have a 15k 36 year old tractor so I'm now looking at changing.

I only do about 150 to 200 hours a year so I'm thinking a non-mainstream brand would be fine - Deutz, Lamborghini, Renault, or something like that.

2000 to 2004 ish should be under 20k and maybe even have a loader on her at that.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Mccormicks are a great Tractor, very underrated but they are getting scarce on the ground now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,086 ✭✭✭emaherx

Bigger does not always equal more comfort though either, although perhaps I just need a yard redesign. I do a fair few hours too, make all my own bales, I'd a 390T for over 20 years and put over 10,000 hours on it, I put a fair few hours up on a 698T in the same time too, both had no Issues with a double bale lifter (with some weight out front). I was tractor-less for a short while last year after selling the 2 old tractors and borrowed FIL/BIL's New Holland T6.140 for a bit of work including baling straw and while it definitely provided a bit of comfort baling compared to the 90Hp tractors, it was very long and awkward in my compact yard for unloading and stacking the bales not to mention the fact that it was simply too tall for some of my sheds.

A bigger tractor to me would be of benefit about 4-5 weeks a year and just an expensive to run pain for the other 47-48. My new tractor is actually slightly less horsepower than the old ones (or possibly not with engine ware!) but has a considerably higher lift capacity front and rear and far more refined controls.

Sometimes all I need is the 135 and I like using it for a lot of the light work in the good weather.

Also aren't 6 cylinders less common now? 4 cylinder engines have become common in fairly large tractors now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Tileman

Was that in the midlands with mostly john Deere tractors by any chance. Think I saw the same one a few months ago and he had 3 Massey and each one of them I thought was a paint job.

A tight yard is a different story. Four cylinder is the way to go so. You’re right about 4 cylinders having higher hp nowadays, I have a150hp valtra 4 pot. Only problem is you’d need to double your budget…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

im Sure you have checked done deal but Tony Mchugh in Galway has lovely tidy second hand gear, same for o brien tractors in bohola in mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Grueller

He may be but a yoke with no warranty and giving trouble would close the price gap very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭White Clover

Could you stretch to something like this OP? Low hours and price seems ok. Lots of lads like them but may be a bit overrated like 390's.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

What's the verdict on buying one without the loader and then retrofitting it? Have heard mention of front axle wear on ones that have been fitted from day dot. Not sure if there is any truth in that, but might be worth investigating

OP, the typical work you've outlined seems light enough, we have a 2010 70hp Case here, has done everything you mentioned (and more) minus the front loading as not fitted with a loader. (offloading it soon pun intended 😂 as we're no longer farming)

Maybe loader work warrants the extra hp?

I have thought about buying a tractor and loader separately for the above reason but it just sounds like extra hassle by the time you source a tractor, a suitable loader and then pay someone to fit it. Could work out being more expensive as well but maybe a trouble free front axle might even it out.

We also do some dung and slurry spreading if we get the chance but usually get the contractor in due to time constraints.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,188 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,188 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Can you work with vat - are you vat registered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭hopeso

Two very well presented tractors there in fairness. Probably not over priced either, even after adding VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭White Clover

The Massey is a Speed Shift which wouldn’t be as desirable as Dyna4. Looks well though with 38/28 wheels.

Looks absolute mint n like new hours wise - I'd go for that one if ot was me anyway.

No I'm not VAT registered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭DBK1

They wouldn’t be over rated in my view, a very capable tractor, have a TL90 here and it has more work done than a lot of 150hp tractors will ever do.

As regards comparing them to a 390, if you offered me 2 390’s I still wouldn’t swap the TL for them!

Is the TL100A basically a blue JXU100? They look like a nice, compact tractor for our yard. I would just have to sway the old man over to the Blue side and find a few extra quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I be similar to @emaherx and @Silverdream with a budget of 20-30k I be looking at a McCormick. Some great value in those tractors. I be looking at the 95/105 models. I have a CX90 myself manages away grand. 10 k hours on it. Stacks 250 bales a year, draws about half that( I have a 2wd case cx80). It feeds for the winter spreads fertilizer etc. The 4wd was giving trouble but they have bought out a newer drive shaft with heavier bearings that seems to have solved the issues. The 95/105 have a heavier back end .

The CX 100 would have a heavier frame than the CX90 and lower HP models. On any second hand tractor that is heading for twenty years old allow 3-4k for bit and pieces after you buy it. The newer 4wd drive shaft on a McCormick is nearly 1k.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭hopeso

Yes, the Case and New Holland are basically the same tractor. The one linked in the post above is in the North, so it’s very likely that the price is plus VAT…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

McCormick cx100 no loader highish hours. Will probably be bought for 15ishK maybe a tad more. If its straight it's good for another 6-8 k hours or twenty years work. As there was no loader was probably used for road or field work mainly. The upholstery is the original case colour so never reupholstered.

A new loader will cost about 10k on it.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement