Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycled plastic garden furniture

Options
  • 15-04-2023 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi, I have been looking at buying some garden furniture (picnic bench with seating for at least 6 people). I was initially thinking timber but now looking at recycled plastic.

Mainly I won't have anywhere to store it when weather is crap and don't want to be looking at a tarp blowing about in the wind for 10 months of the year!

Anyone have experience with this type of furniture? Does it really last 20+years? Does the color fade over time? Any other downsides to be aware of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I got a catalogue from Murrays recycled plastic - why they can't just put all the info and prices on their website I have no idea - and while it is more attractive than some it is expensive. None of the firms are willing to make prices readily available though. Ecoplastics in Northern Ireland tell you how to order but don't even give a hint about prices or how to find them.

Murrays claim a lifespan of 40 years, but I wouldn't be around to argue this in 40 years time, or even half that! Prices from 12 months ago, table and seating is from around a thousand to 1600 euro. An 8 seater picnic table is 2500 and a chair 265, so not cheap.

I'd be mildly interested in the products myself but the difficulty of finding prices has made me less inclined to bother. Also why try (unsuccessfully) to make everything to look as though it is timber? Its plastic, why not allow it to look like plastic, it doesn't have to be ignorant looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I used some recycled plastic fence posts recently. Nightmare to get hold of again with no one quoting a price. They do look good and hard to tell from timber from a distance hope not to have to replace them for at least 20 years when I may not be around to bother. €30 for a fence post does seem a bit excessive.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I suppose since recycled plastic furniture hasn't been around long enough to know how long it will last! But ancient crisp bags and drink bottles are regularly found so presumably it will have a decent lifespan.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭digitalsystem

Thanks all, I got some quotes recently from a few different places. One was 1700 for picnic table with 2 chairs + 2 benches. Another was 2500 for same type. Need to check about dimensions to make sure comparing like with line. Also not sure how much of a variation there is on terms of thickness, types of bolts used etc... Need to find out since more

Advertisement