Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling rented property

Options
  • 15-04-2023 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I have only have one house I rented it out in 2017 for a year and moved back home to family. I have rented it out last year for six months as I went abroad. My question is if I sold my house will I have to pay capital gains on it. Or if I sell it to buy another house do I have to pay capital gains even though I will be using the money to buy a more expensive house

Post edited by Spear on

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Yes but your liability will be calculated based on time rented as a proportion of time owned so depending on how long you've owned it out should really drop your liability

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mistymarmar

I own the house eight years

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

So the liability will be the CGT rate x 0.1875 by my calculations but please get a professional to double check.

Advertisement