Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a 15 mm copper slip fitting work on an Irish 1/2" pipe?

Options
  • 15-04-2023 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to add a fitting on a 1/2" pipe with no give so I don't see many shops selling slip fittings but the few that I do, (online) sell 15 mm ones. Will they work here? Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

BTW I mean soler ring fittings. I guess compression fittings should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

You could use 15mm compression fittings and change the olives for 1/2” Irish.

I wouldn’t use 15mm solder fittings on Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gary333

Hi Guys, - I am new to the forum and new to plumbing, I have just fitted a shower and used 15mm Yorkshire fittings on Irish 1/2 inch copper - I also used extra solder end feeding the joints to ensure that they would be water tight which they are - There is currently no leeks but having read this thread I am now aware of the slight difference in size of the pipe and fittings - I am wondering if I should replace all of the 15mm joints with Irish 14.7mm fittings before I tile? - Will the extra 0.15mm of solder around the circumference of the joint be ok for the long term or will this become a problem in time? - Any help/guidance from a pro or more experienced plumber would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

No one will really be able to say for sure if them fittings will be all right in 15 years time, more than likely they will but impossible to know. If the fittings were cleaned and fluxed correctly that will help, but most will say change them out.

Just for comparison I was fitting a vertical rad after a room was plastered 7 years ago. One of the pipes was a few mm short so the olive kept popping off the end as I tried to tighten the rad valve. So at a push I found a copper olive (probably 15mm) and soldered it onto the end of the pipe using some electrical solder I had lying about. Its been there 8 years and has been fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement