Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish AM stations

Options
  • 15-04-2023 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

I was thinking of posting this in one of the RTE LW threads but decided that starting a new thread was probably the more suitable option.

Just how many AM stations are left in Ireland?

According to fmscan.org there are - Coast FM Tenerife rebroadcast on 1512 somewhere in Sligo, Energy AM in Dundrum, Dublin on 1440 (Sundays only), Laser Hot Hits on 1494, Radio North from Donegal on 846 & Radio Star Country from Monaghan on 981.

On shortwave there is Premier Radio (Kildare?) on 6285.

Which of these are still active does anyone know? Are there others not mentioned here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Energy Power AM on 1440kh (208 metres) is on Saturdays as well as Sundays, and also Bank Holidays. It sometimes is on Friday evenings as well. The mistaken belief that it is Sundays only might be related to the fact that Energy Power AM used to relay the Sunday only, and fellow oldie pirate, Retro FM during the latter's live broadcasts. But it has not done that for a while now AFAIK.

I understand from other threads that Radio North and Radio Star Country are still active. There is an AM station on 1512kh from Dundalk. It tends to play recordings.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

@Declan A Walsh thanks, didn't know about the Dundalk station. I'll try tuning into it next time I'm in the area...

I mainly heard about it in the Bandscan Thread - I have never actually heard it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It is on most weekends in Dundalk, most recently staying on 1512. But has used multiple frequencies. ID's with a jingle "Kiss AM". No speech.

Fighting to be heard on the North West 2 SDR with an Iranian? station. Massive signal in Dundalk.

22:43 Since You've Been Gone, Rainbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Donuthead

Dublin has a fine station that used to broadcast on 1575 and 1512 kHz but is now broadcasting on 1206 kHz with 500 watts or so, so keep a listen out for that, it shouldn't be hard to miss it with that power! It's called Radio Daniella.

Energy from Dublin was on 1395 kHz since the dawn of time it feels, then moved to 1440 kHz as 1395 became stuffed with Dutch stuff etc.

I am hearing, although I really cannot confirm, that another AM station will be appearing on the band in the near future so I guess keep listening out for that.

Shortwave AM is still pretty much active despite recent raids against stations here in the emerald isle. Radio Cuckoo makes a welcome appearance on a Sunday around 627* 628* or 629* kHz so tune around because you can't miss its BIG signal! The same can be said for Premier Radio, and, another welcome return to the air is Blue Moon Radio which was last heard on 6204 and 6206.5 kHz.

AM is still alive.

Great thread by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I heard the station on 1206 Khz yesterday, while driving in the Sandyford area. I didn't hear any ident and it was playing Jazz Lounge music - not sure if that is a genre, but think hotel lobby background. I heard it around 3pm, but it was off when I got a chance to tune again at 8.30pm.

Good to see/hear a bit of MW activity taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Donuthead

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Thanks @Donuthead I wasn't aware of those!

20:05 Lonely Nights, Bryan Adams.

Kiss also being heard well in Malin. The link below rates the SDR's worldwide by Signal to Noise, done by some sort of automatic software. Ever changing, but Malin and North West are usually in the top 100. Also being heard only on Malin SDR since this morning is a signal on 563 kHz, Morse Code letter D repeated. Must be from a transmitter near Malin.

http://rx.linkfanel.net/snr.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

should this thread be called the 'AM bandscan' ?

I thought it was about Irish morning stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

"Energy from Dublin was on 1395 kHz since the dawn of time it feels, then moved to 1440 kHz as 1395 became stuffed with Dutch stuff etc."

They did have a spell on the adjacent 1386kHz instead several years ago when the 'Big-L' station was on 1395, from the Netherlands, which would have been more powerful than the more recent "LPAM" 'Dutch stuff' on 1395

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_L_1395

1206 also had a relay of Raidió na Life 106.4 late on Easter Saturday night, with a show of Electronic/dance music being relayed. 1206 a frequency that became very clear at night with the closure of the adjacent Absolute.

Post edited by Antenna on

I found out a bit more about Radio Daniella on this site:

Free Radio Forum: Radio Daniella on 1206 khz

https://mb.boardhost.com/FreeRadioForum/msg/1680985414.html

To avoid interference from Rock Radio on 1233 kHz Radio Daniella are currently testing Saturday night on 1206 kHz Fairly good signal into North Yorks.

It was on 1233kh last month and it looks like it can be picked up outside Ireland. It also mentioned that it had someone on associated with Short Wave. Interesting one for the serious anoraks.

Incidentally, I picked up 1206kh near Dundrum last night (an ordinary Monday night no less!) with a relay of Zee100 from New York. I did not stay with it too long for my own sanity!

Advertisement