Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Subway really that bad?

Options
  • 16-04-2023 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I've heard that some food choice of Subway are probably as unhealthy as McDonalds. It makes me wonder how that guy in America (Jared Fogle) lose weight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

I've no idea who Jared Fogle is, but the last person/country you should listen to advice about healthy food is an American/America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Look at the nutritional content of each sub that will a answer your question.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Prison probably helped him lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I used to get slices of turkey and all of the salads in a 6 inch. The bread is just empty calories but you could eat far worse fast food, they really pack the veggies in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

He started walking a lot and cut 8000 calories off his diet. No real mystery. Subway food had very little to do with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Jared lost the weight because he had aides

He kept it off because prison food might not be that tastey

Wiki suggests he started off walking/tracking calorie intake/eating lots of Subway himself, and when he lost lots of weight, Subway got interested and signed him up as a spokesman. He then kept up his habits of course.

So I guess that means the answer to your question is yes, but not at first.

I think Subway is better than, say, McDonald's, but not as good for you as a carvery. Very high in salt in particular I think. Others may have more detailed info though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Cheers.

I wonder do kcal on sauces or other additions count?

So, overall a shill and can't be believed?

• Advertisement

He can be believed for sure - reducing calorie intake and increasing exercise will make you lose weight. He seemed to stick to plain turkey or veggie subs, and yeah, sauces would add a fair few calories as you say.

Subway's marketers are the ones who really twisted it I think, and gave the Subway element of his story way more credit than it deserved.

Again, others will know more but just because a diet makes you lose weight doesn't mean it's healthy. It could be unbalanced and missing key elements for example.

Best enjoyed in moderation I think. Probably two slices of Brennan's, butter and a bit of last night's roast would be better for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Jared had Aides that's how he lost weight

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Has_Aides

Subway, Subway, Subway.

It's advertisement as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Subway ingredient quality has cratered in the past two decades over here - the meat is all mechanically recovered and reformed; the cake bread is just worse somehow than it used to be - stodgier and flavourless; the veg getting cheaper and crappier.

Whatever claims to be somewhat decent they had in the early 00s are gone; its just crud now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

10 - 15 years ago it was superb. They used to have Seafood Sensation, it was heavenly but alas long gone

These days prices are quite ridiculous and quality is meh 🫤

Thee is never a queue in Subway, not a good sign

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I thought it was maybe my taste and standards had changed.

I used to really enjoy a chicken fajita roll. They also used to offer just oil and vinegar as a dressing. Both those options gone now.

Also, remember the early days when they cut a wedge out of the top of the roll, rather than slicing it down the middle? Made for a much better eating roll!

Had one last year and hated it. Pappy slop!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,346 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ok a carvery is probably better that McDonald's or Subway but I wouldn't be counting it as healthy just because it's veg. Animal fat, butter and salt are used in huge quantities in the cooking of most carveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

When it first came to Ireland I had it constantly, thought it was amazing, its actually nice as a drunk munch too but the meat is pure rubber processed crap. It's no worse than most deli's I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Wouldn't eat the breads in Subway at all. First off they make me feel sick and bloated.

Here in the States, the one thing that Subway is "sort" of ok for is a Salad (especially where we live with less choice).

The ingredients are fresh daily, made in front of you and although the meats are suspect, the veggies are ok. Now the price for same, thats crazy!

So long as you don't pair it with a "meal deal" i.e. Chips (crisps) and a coke, its good!

• Advertisement
Advertisement