Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel Frame Repair

Options
  • 16-04-2023 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Any recommendations for a mechanic that offers steel frame repairs?

Have a Condor Fratello with an offset drive side chain stay that I’m desperate to see if it can be repaired, been gathering dust in the shed for two years at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Moto in clontarf, if you want a respray too then Argos cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Thanks for reccomending the lads to me - unfortunately they were unable to help, need a shop that has steel frame jigs to check frame alignment which the lads didn't have, great lads to chat to and brainstorm the problems with though.

I seen Stagg in Lucan do frame repairs but does anyone know if that extends to frame realignment? I think that's what is required. Suggestions are very welcome, failing that, decent steel frames that take 28mm with mudguard recommendations would also be very welcome

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe ring humphries? they don't do it themselves but jimmy might know someone who does

I'll give them a call during the week, thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Donard.cc can perform steel frame repairs/realignment; he is a full-time frame-builder based in Northern Ireland and is renowned for the quality of his work.

Other than that, you're looking at shipping to the UK (ouch), frame repair cost, being charged 23%VAT by revenue on the value of any repair when the frame is shipped back (ouch and even more ouch) and a customs-charges processing fee by the shipping handler (robbing barstewards ouch).

There was an individual based in Naas but his business has descended into a right 5hitshow and seems has ceased to trade....it took me two years to get frames back, basically by a local kindred fellow member on here banging on his door!

• Advertisement

I was looking at Donard.cc alright - will probably give him a call during the week too.

Sending for repair to England is out of the question - I'd sooner buy a new frame and swap the parts over (Plan B if I can't get the frame fixed anyway)

Yeah I remember reaching out to the shop in Naas last year or the year before, no answer to phone, voicemails or emails, at least I know it wasn't jsut me having a hard time getting in contact!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a significant waiting time for frames with donard; i wonder might they be so busy with their own stuff, they might not take on repairs?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is bicycle design centre still operating? I think 8valve may have had dealings with them that were a bit of a pain

That's the place he mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Hope you can find a repair. Getting steel frames seems much worse since Brexit. I have three different steel Genesis (and would highly recommend an Equilibrium) but a combination of their prices increasing and lack of access to online deals from the UK means they are not as interesting to buy as they were a few years ago

• Advertisement
Advertisement